You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by trevwaterford trevwaterford wrote:

I heard today from a Kilkenny fan that Limerick players don't work and are almost full time professionals, JP paid for their mortgages and they have gyms in their housesLOL
Sounds like nonsense to me.

Dunno about all of that, but it's definitely not a purely "amateur" game for the elite counties.

Players are well looked after.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 1:09pm

I heard today from a Kilkenny fan that Limerick players don't work and are almost full time professionals, JP paid for their mortgages and they have gyms in their housesLOL
Who knows, but I was an old lad like JP with hundreds of millions in the bank I'd be doing the exact same thing with my money. Money well spent.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 1:26pm
John Kiely dropped from Principal in the Abbey to deputy Principal. Something tells me his pockets arent lighter as a result of this, even though they should be.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Heard an interesting thing mentioned on the radio on Sunday. Seemingly Limerick have their own camera system which they put in the the likes of Croke Park which gives them different, full pitch views etc which then can access in real time during the game. I wonder are there any rules around this? Can't imagine too many counties have the resources available to do that.

Teams often had someone up in the upper tier stand and they’d communicate back with sideline during the game. Some rumours that a wire with a mic was giving to the Limerick Goalkeeper during the semi-final for puckouts. Limerick just a very good team who in some games will just do enough and just seem to be peaking for the two big Croke Park games

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 2:40pm

Because it is nonsense.

JP is a business man and doubt he'd be throwing away tons of money on Limerick GAA. Decisions like that is not how you become a billionaire and stay a billionaire.

His brother in law was the owner of Limerick FC and when JP bought the Market's Field he only leased it to Limerick FC and charged them rent. If he's charging family rent on a stadium that cost a couple of mill I doubt he's bank rolling Limerick GAA like he's Man City's owner.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Because it is nonsense.

JP is a business man and doubt he'd be throwing away tons of money on Limerick GAA. Decisions like that is not how you become a billionaire and stay a billionaire.

His brother in law was the owner of Limerick FC and when JP bought the Market's Field he only leased it to Limerick FC and charged them rent. If he's charging family rent on a stadium that cost a couple of mill I doubt he's bank rolling Limerick GAA like he's Man City's owner.

I would also believe that the stuff about mortgages isn't true. But JP does basically run his horse racing operation in some ways as a benefit as he doesn't make money from it.
And I believe Limerick spend the most of any county board on their county teams. So the truth of his involvement is probably somewhere in the middle. 
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 5:38pm
I work with one of players and have worked previously with one of those who has a few all stars. They work same as everyone else they might leave little earlier but are in the same boat. They all use the same gym and it’s open to the public and half of them still live with their moms so none of that is true not 1% of it
On the camera thing each team do their own recording for video analysis there is nothing new there sure u12 and u14 Soccer teams are doing same thing so why. On the expenditure reached finals in 5/6 years so always going to spend more than on day example Cork who were gone ten weeks back or so
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

I work with one of players and have worked previously with one of those who has a few all stars. They work same as everyone else they might leave little earlier but are in the same boat. They all use the same gym and it’s open to the public and half of them still live with their moms so none of that is true not 1% of it
On the camera thing each team do their own recording for video analysis there is nothing new there sure u12 and u14 Soccer teams are doing same thing so why. On the expenditure reached finals in 5/6 years so always going to spend more than on day example Cork who were gone ten weeks back or so

I was just quoting what RTE were saying at the weekend as they were moving out of the way of the Limerick lad who was setting up their camera system on the gantry and mentioning that no other team were doing that. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

And on the other expenditure, Limerick topped the list in terms of expenditure of all counties, so factoring in football also. Most of that expense would not be be over the last couple of weeks of the championship I’d imagine as Galway got to a semi final and final and didn’t spend as much as Limerick. Not that Limerick have done anything wrong, no rules broken or anything like that. 

Edited by Borussia - 26 Jul 2023 at 9:20am
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:49pm
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 10:22am
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Looks like some Gaa club in Galway wants to get rid of all it's players.

Seen it bouncing around social media yesterday. Nothing new in there that other clubs haven't done before outside of baring lads from playing golf Confused. I've never played senior (or anything close) but the drink ban I always found a strange one, lads will always break it. What's wrong with saying no drinking 10 days out from a match and don't go mad at that.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Looks like some Gaa club in Galway wants to get rid of all it's players.

Seen it bouncing around social media yesterday. Nothing new in there that other clubs haven't done before outside of baring lads from playing golf Confused. I've never played senior (or anything close) but the drink ban I always found a strange one, lads will always break it. What's wrong with saying no drinking 10 days out from a match and don't go mad at that.
10 day's before any match is absolutely reasonable in any sport professional or amateur. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:25am
First instinct is that that's fake 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

First instinct is that that's fake 

Wouldn't have thought so. Bar the drinking ban which is a regular in these pre-season commitments the rest would be standard enough for any sporting team with realistic ambitions. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 1:19pm
Never heard of an amateur sporting team banning players going on holidays during the summer
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 1:51pm
I wonder if any of their top players break these "rules" will they throw them out?
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 2:53pm

Never heard of an amateur sporting team banning players going on holidays during the summer

Club championship is played during the summer so kind of expected that lads don't head off on J1's if they're serious about playing.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Club championship is played during the summer so kind of expected that lads don't head off on J1's if they're serious about playing.
Not starting them in favour of someone who's sticking around is logical but not letting him Train with first team and play mainly with second team is idiotic especially for rural clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic