You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 115>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Cavan and Moanaghan belong in the Tall Thin Cup, the Farney were in the AI semi final last year don't forget they will regroup lot of good young players men to come back from injury and a good manager in VC they will be dangerous in the group stages, looked a bad injury for HughesOuch, Cavan have Tyrone in two weeks in Breffni, the last time they met in the UC in Breffni was 1983 i think. i was behind the goals a certain Frank McGuigan was playing that day he made history the following year in the Ulster Final against Armagh, winners meet Derry/Donegal in Semi Final Cavan had their day yesterday and will be cannon fodder from now on i'm afraid same with Meath same with a lot of teams. Wickla beating Westmeath ducking bellShocked
VC was a very good manager last year but you’d have to question now was it the right decision to start Beggan? It was an awful game up until the first goal the Cavan defence were very good though.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:12am
This whole goalkeeper out the field mullarkey is a cod too. I often wondered why teams don't do what Cavan did yesterday when they turnover the ball. Goalie gone walkabout, one long ball and pop it into the net. Goalies nowadays are getting above their station, stay inside the goals dummies.
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:19am
Was at a club match on Friday and the goalkeeper was coming out the field just for the sake of it. It was almost as if it was just for show, as he was contributing nothing to the play and wasn't getting on the ball
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:30am
It's very, very hard to get excited about this stuff. Provincials are nonsensical right now. League is a farce with teams trying not to win it. I left the Derry game with 25 mins to go a few weeks back (I never leave games early). Sure there was a "comeback" but it was quite obvious Mayo had little or no interest in reaching another league final. 

They can stick their season ticket up their hole next year. It was actually cheaper to buy tickets on a game per game basis ffs!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:33am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

This has to be the least anticipated Championship i can ever remember. Absolute joke having the Championship start in early April. Championship to me was Dublin Meath on a blaring hot Sunday watching on tv with Croke Park jam packed. Now its games in the rain and wind with grounds maybe a quarter full if lucky. Literally zero interest. Stupid stupid decisions being made in the GAA last few years. Its a yawnfest now.

They are slowly ruining the championship with all the changes, short turn around between games etc the demand on players and supporters a like are becoming too much

Ulster championship is still a big pull but even the crowd in clones today for monaghan vs cavan looked smaller thsn what would expect for a Derby game like that. Donegal play derry in 2 weeks which I'd expect to be a full house bur outside of thst hard to know what crowd sizes going to be for early round games 

Seen mcguinness made a point earlier in the week that if Donegal were fortunate to reach an ulster final supporters will be asked to pay into 3 games in 1 paycheck time period (if paid monthly) which is a big ask for families etc 

League of Ireland games are every week and over Easter 3 games in 7 days. Same again over may bank holiday.   What’s the issue.  You either like going to the games or you don’t.  
If donegal were to reach an ulster final will play games in Derry, a nutrual venue semi final which be mist likely cavan or clones and an ulster final in clones. All 3 would involve a lot of travel for supporters which is  where the expense comes into play. If you take a family of 4 from bundoran heading to derry next weekend they wouldn't be long spending between 100 & 200 euro to attend that one game when include tickets, travel and food. Then they expected to spend a similar amount the next week for a semi final and sane again if lucky to get to a final. That would be an average spend of 300 - 500 euros to attend 3 games in the space of a few weeks

Even with yourself bringing the kids to a loi game every week I'd hazard a guess your not spending anything like that. I take your argument about don't just miss a game if don't want to pay but that quickly turns the game into something only the elite or minority can afford to do when the gaa, loi and all sports on the island should be doing the opposite and making sure they making the games accessible to the majority ( a hat tip to finn harps who do this very well with their initiatives in regards to kids tickets etc)

Plus missing a games puts you down the pecking order for tickets should you get to an AI final.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Championship starts after the provincials for me. This is just a lull part of the season
Not in the hurling. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 12:10pm

This has to be the least anticipated Championship i can ever remember. Absolute joke having the Championship start in early April. Championship to me was Dublin Meath on a blaring hot Sunday watching on tv with Croke Park jam packed. Now its games in the rain and wind with grounds maybe a quarter full if lucky. Literally zero interest. Stupid stupid decisions being made in the GAA last few years. Its a yawnfest now.

They are slowly ruining the championship with all the changes, short turn around between games etc the demand on players and supporters a like are becoming too much

Ulster championship is still a big pull but even the crowd in clones today for monaghan vs cavan looked smaller thsn what would expect for a Derby game like that. Donegal play derry in 2 weeks which I'd expect to be a full house bur outside of thst hard to know what crowd sizes going to be for early round games 

Seen mcguinness made a point earlier in the week that if Donegal were fortunate to reach an ulster final supporters will be asked to pay into 3 games in 1 paycheck time period (if paid monthly) which is a big ask for families etc 

League of Ireland games are every week and over Easter 3 games in 7 days. Same again over may bank holiday.   What’s the issue.  You either like going to the games or you don’t.  
If donegal were to reach an ulster final will play games in Derry, a nutrual venue semi final which be mist likely cavan or clones and an ulster final in clones. All 3 would involve a lot of travel for supporters which is  where the expense comes into play. If you take a family of 4 from bundoran heading to derry next weekend they wouldn't be long spending between 100 & 200 euro to attend that one game when include tickets, travel and food. Then they expected to spend a similar amount the next week for a semi final and sane again if lucky to get to a final. That would be an average spend of 300 - 500 euros to attend 3 games in the space of a few weeks

Even with yourself bringing the kids to a loi game every week I'd hazard a guess your not spending anything like that. I take your argument about don't just miss a game if don't want to pay but that quickly turns the game into something only the elite or minority can afford to do when the gaa, loi and all sports on the island should be doing the opposite and making sure they making the games accessible to the majority ( a hat tip to finn harps who do this very well with their initiatives in regards to kids tickets etc)

How does that match up with Finn harps fixture list.  Surely they have bigger trips.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Championship starts after the provincials for me. This is just a lull part of the season
Not in the hurling. 

This is the gaa football thread 
AKA pedantic kunt
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 12:32pm
Good to see Monaghan beat all the same
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 12:38pm
Plus did anyone watch the Sunday Game last night?

What a shambles.

Firstly and this always annoys the sh1te out of me they concentrate on the Cavan Monagahan game even though it was shown live and analysed to the hilt before during and after the game. How about ye show some of the games that werent televised on Rte and BBC.

Then they switch panels to the hurling. WTF

Then switch back again to the football. Who was producing that show last night. Shoddy as fook. Plus it would bore the pants off ya nowadays.  
I love beer gardens
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Not in the hurling. 

This is the gaa football thread 
True. Burn the hurls.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 2:29pm

How does that match up with Finn harps fixture list.  Surely they have bigger trips.  

Finn harps played 3 games over the Easter period 2 at home and 1 away. I'd estimate at the away game in limerick if they had 30 fans at it (from the coverage I seen online) that was the height of it

Not sure why using finn harps as an example tbh seeing as the distance they have to travel for away games is a primary reason their away support is small in numbers due to the cost factor. But since you seen hard fast in creating an us and them argument here we will give it a go. The fixtures thus year will look as follows

Finn harps
Games played: 36 games
Home games: 18 games 
Away games: 18 games
Length of season: 260 days
Average cost of ticket: €14 ( terrace ticket price for finn park away games may vary)

Donegal
Games played:17 games (if not in preliminary 1/4 final)
Home games: 5
Away/neutral venue games: 12
Length of season: 182 days
Average cost of ticket: €22.58

* cup games not included for finn harps as draw not known at this time. Mckenba cup not included for donegal as preseason tournament 

As can be seen the gaa season is more expensive over a shorter period of time and tickets for later rounds of the championship is depending om attendance at the earlier games. Mog sure why it has to be an us and them argument here the cost of living crisis is affecting everyone and finn harps crowd numbers will be affected just the same as donegal gaa will be

Edited by ringerbell - 08 Apr 2024 at 2:31pm
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 9:10pm
Why have they done away with ticket sales on the day / advance ticket sales only say the ads ?

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Why have they done away with ticket sales on the day / advance ticket sales only say the ads ?

GAA probably didn't trust all the money was funnelled back to them.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 9:20pm

Finn harps played 3 games over the Easter period 2 at home and 1 away. I'd estimate at the away game in limerick if they had 30 fans at it (from the coverage I seen online) that was the height of it

Not sure why using finn harps as an example tbh seeing as the distance they have to travel for away games is a primary reason their away support is small in numbers due to the cost factor. But since you seen hard fast in creating an us and them argument here we will give it a go. The fixtures thus year will look as follows

Finn harps
Average cost of ticket: €14 ( terrace ticket price for finn park away games may vary)

Donegal

* cup games not included for finn harps as draw not known at this time. Mckenba cup not included for donegal as preseason tournament 

As can be seen the gaa season is more expensive over a shorter period of time and tickets for later rounds of the championship is depending om attendance at the earlier games. Mog sure why it has to be an us and them argument here the cost of living crisis is affecting everyone and finn harps crowd numbers will be affected just the same as donegal gaa will be

LOI attendances are up though. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 10:06pm

It seems that the players don't mind it. Heard a couple of managers/players over the weekend saying that "sure we'd be training anyway. Games are preferable." If it's generally popular among players and those involved, I'd imagine it'll stick for a bit longer (unless get to the stage where attendances etc. are a disaster for finances - I see the GAA are lamenting a fall in jersey sales).
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:01pm

Finn harps

Donegal

Loi games attendance is rising which is good for the domestic game but I'd like to see what the average number of away fans at games is (obviously the many dublin teams will have an impact on this). 

Again I'm not totally sure what your argument is here I'm saying the condensed season will affect attendance at games which will be seen if Donegal are lucky enough to beat derry and play the semi final it will cost €36 for the cheapest tickets to the 2 games if I want to attend 2 finn harps Games in the same time period it will cost €28 so works cheaper and will still be more Donegal people attending the gaa so not sure what actual point tou trying to make if I'm been honest 

Going back to the point I was making in my original point the financial demand on families who wish to attend sporting occasions at present is very high especially if involved travelling any sort of distance away. Games been spaced out more would benefit everyone in the long run as attendances would continue to increase and possibility of more kids been able to attend sporting events in person and getting hooked like the majority of us were when we attended games at a young age mo matter what sport it is 

the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 9:36am

Finn harps

Donegal

Loi games attendance is rising which is good for the domestic game but I'd like to see what the average number of away fans at games is (obviously the many dublin teams will have an impact on this). 

Again I'm not totally sure what your argument is here I'm saying the condensed season will affect attendance at games which will be seen if Donegal are lucky enough to beat derry and play the semi final it will cost €36 for the cheapest tickets to the 2 games if I want to attend 2 finn harps Games in the same time period it will cost €28 so works cheaper and will still be more Donegal people attending the gaa so not sure what actual point tou trying to make if I'm been honest 

Going back to the point I was making in my original point the financial demand on families who wish to attend sporting occasions at present is very high especially if involved travelling any sort of distance away. Games been spaced out more would benefit everyone in the long run as attendances would continue to increase and possibility of more kids been able to attend sporting events in person and getting hooked like the majority of us were when we attended games at a young age mo matter what sport it is 

your original point was clear as day. Not sure what LOI has to do with it.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 115>
  Share Topic