You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 115>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:45am
Is it possible two hold two sets of opinions anymore? I had this argument with a friend last night.

He gave away €32 million. He didn't have to. fair play to him.

But I'd still prefer he paid his taxes in Ireland. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:46am
I always find it funny when ordinary folk are willing to bat for millionaires & billionaires instead of their neighbours, family & friends. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Is it possible two hold two sets of opinions anymore? I had this argument with a friend last night.

I don’t think anyone is angry he gave 32mill to the gaa. I would say most including me agree with you. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:47am
It would be a lot worse if he only gave 26m Shocked
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I don’t think anyone is angry he gave 32mill to the gaa. I would say most including me agree with you. 

No, what I mean is, you can simultaneously think "fair play to him" for that one act, while thinking "hold on a sec though, what's this about his taxes?!" about the other!

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:50am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

No, what I mean is, you can simultaneously think "fair play to him" for that one act, while thinking "hold on a sec though, what's this about his taxes?!" about the other!

I know! And I agree! 
My point is I think most (who’ve mentioned the avoidance) agree with you. 
He’s certainly the best tax avoider I know! 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:54am
Part of me did find this topic slightly funny in that you've probably got clubs in Leitrim feeling like they've won the lottery whereas we spent last night at our club's AGM trying to figure out how we survive another year. 

Edited by Borussia - 15 Dec 2023 at 9:57am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 10:00am

Clap
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 11:27am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Fair play to him. Nothing but admiration for him
However, even though it is an incredible amount of money to give away, it is going to have minimal if not zero impact on GAA in the vast majority of clubs. Clubs in Fermanagh etc getting €50k will certainly benefit. 
Clubs in Westmeath getting €14k. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing to be sniffed at but it wouldn't cover 1 year of a managers fee.
I think JP missing a trick here. Could be more creative with the €32 million.

And therin lies the current problem within club and county management
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Part of me did find this topic slightly funny in that you've probably got clubs in Leitrim feeling like they've won the lottery whereas we spent last night at our club's AGM trying to figure out how we survive another year. 

Mmm weren’t you supposed to be somewhere else ? ShockedShocked
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Mmm weren’t you supposed to be somewhere else ? ShockedShocked
Was 9pm and when I got back from the office - You were originally my excuse to not have to go to the meeting!

Edited by Borussia - 15 Dec 2023 at 11:37am
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 11:39am

Fair comment. He's availing of a system that allows HNW individuals stay out of the country for 183 days a year. 

It shouldn't be forgotten that JPM financed the restoration of Adare Manor as a business and one which will host the Ryder cup in 4 years time. Conservative estimates of around €150m for the local economy. There'll be a fair return for Revenue from that event and from all the jobs created in and around Adare. 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 12:08pm
I've no problem with what JP does considering his love for Ireland and how he invests so much back into Ireland. Often times you don't here about the good deeds either. 

But don't suggest everyone would do the same. I'd a good solid 10 years working online for myself, my revenue wasn't coming from Ireland. I could have lived anywhere and paid no tax. "Lost" an absolute fortune to our taxman on money that didn't even derive from here. But I didn't move because I liked living in Ireland and genuinely felt good about bringing money into this country and paying tax here. 

So don't put everyone in the same boat. Not everyone will pull a JP. 

Edited by eireland - 15 Dec 2023 at 12:09pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Fair play to him. Nothing but admiration for him
However, even though it is an incredible amount of money to give away, it is going to have minimal if not zero impact on GAA in the vast majority of clubs. Clubs in Fermanagh etc getting €50k will certainly benefit. 
Clubs in Westmeath getting €14k. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing to be sniffed at but it wouldn't cover 1 year of a managers fee.
I think JP missing a trick here. Could be more creative with the €32 million.

I don’t think he wants to get into the admin of it.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 6:27pm
Plenty of virtue signalling politicians making hay around this one. And of course the culprits are the ones who spend their time promising how to collect and spend other people’s money.

Edited by Het-field - 15 Dec 2023 at 6:27pm
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 6:37pm
I would say Kieran Cunningham has a decent point here but I'll probably be called a begrudger

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I would say Kieran Cunningham has a decent point here but I'll probably be called a begrudger

If you tax owners prize money that you obviously hit the likes of JP but you hit the everyday owners far more. JP has averaged 8 winners per month over jumps so far this year. O'Leary has averaged 4. So, if you take out those 12 races per month there have probably been over 100 other races run per month over jumps that we were won by other people, many of which are small syndicates and local people. What does that achieve?
I like Kieran as a journalist but his quote about the prize money being mostly divided amongst those owners is factually incorrect. 

Edited by Borussia - 15 Dec 2023 at 6:58pm
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 7:00pm
is he wrong on horse racing receiving more tax payers money than any other sport though? genuine q

I think we've disagreed in the past on horse racing funding but you're definitely closer to it than me, I'm just hurling from the ditch on it most the time LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 115>
  Share Topic