FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff you never see in football anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuff you never see in football anymore
    Posted: 11 May 2024 at 10:11pm
Testimonial matches, especially at international level - oh, how we all miss those games between a Republic of Ireland XI and Leinster Senior League Select on a Wednesday afternoon... LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 2:14pm
FA Cup Final Grandstand( usually starting about 3/3.5 hours before kick off)

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 12:15pm
Players or ex players just walking through a foyer or tunnel area of a club, without making someone video them not stepping on the club crest on a carpet on the ground. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I read something once that Pep hates quick counter attacks, if for example Ederson catches a ball from a corner he doesn't like him throwing it out quick. He likes them to get set and play a certain number of passes in defence to build up the attack. It was something about guarding against being counter attacked again. I don't really understand that. 

15 passes or something similar to have the players in the right positions so that if they lose it they can be harder to counter attack.

As for the more direct style, nearly every team now is passing it back to the keeper from kick off, and then going route 1. POMO reborn.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 9:23am
People phoning in to You're On Sky Sports and calling Gary Newbon a **** on live TV.
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 9:21am
I read something once that Pep hates quick counter attacks, if for example Ederson catches a ball from a corner he doesn't like him throwing it out quick. He likes them to get set and play a certain number of passes in defence to build up the attack. It was something about guarding against being counter attacked again. I don't really understand that. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 7:52am

Goalkeepers doing long throws up the pitch to start counter attacks when they catch the ball. 

Suppose you have to get 76 passes in along your back line first these days before thinking of attacking. 

I think a lot of teams will eventually go back to a much directer style. Every sh*te team is trying to win the possession battle. Sounds good but it's usually in poor areas of the pitch and they pose little or no threat. Modern defenders aren't as used to direct football and teams that use it would get joy as a result. Not talking about elite teams. Southampton are an example. I was at Blackpool Derby at Easter. Commented first half on how tidy Blackpool were and how they retained possession. It became clear that much like Kenny's Ireland most of this was done at the back and they had no threat past the half way line
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Do they announce a man of the match on tv these days?  Seems to be only the home player and the stadium announces it over the PR

A person of the match probably 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 7:27am
Do they announce a man of the match on tv these days?  Seems to be only the home player and the stadium announces it over the PR
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 7:26am
Players and managers with thw big oversize ear can headphones when answering questions off the sky panel

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 4:55am
Players taking the ball around the keeper. It seemed to happen a lot more back in the day even though keepers wouldn’t have been as quick off their line.

Edited by The Huntacha - 09 May 2024 at 4:56am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 11:03pm
Panels, commentators who are there on merit.
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 11:03pm

Do boot rooms still exist? Or donplayers get a new pair every day?

I doubt the jung fellas have to scrub them

There’d be no muck to clean off em these days Jeff 

Yeah not much muck you'd think but players would have a few boots nowadays, don't think youth players would clean them now not at the big clubs anyway,  sure I'd imagine majority of the u21 team at say Man City earn more in a week then most would in a year. Players are pampered now
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 10:45pm

There’d be no muck to clean off em these days Jeff 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 10:44pm

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Player Managers.

Think Kompany was player manager for Anderlecht few years back 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 9:53pm
Goalkeepers doing long throws up the pitch to start counter attacks when they catch the ball. 

Suppose you have to get 76 passes in along your back line first these days before thinking of attacking. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:08pm
Kenny Dalglish and John Aldridge.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic