Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway United fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:10am
Will an FC United type club be set up, or is everybody happy with them giving away their club?
Sponsored Links

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Will an FC United type club be set up, or is everybody happy with them giving away their club?

Roughly 85% of there membership voted for this. Allergic to hard work, everyone wants the get rich quick scheme. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:49am
I for one welcome the Saudi Iranians
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Roughly 85% of there membership voted for this. Allergic to hard work, everyone wants the get rich quick scheme. 
I really fail to understand the logic myself. I cannot see what good will come of it and what the Saudi's ulterior motives are, though they are unlikely to be for the good of Galway football.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm

I really fail to understand the logic myself. I cannot see what good will come of it and what the Saudi's ulterior motives are, though they are unlikely to be for the good of Galway football.

I'm seeing a lot of lads being carefree enough about the whole thing;

"I'd rather five years of success and start again"
"It's not like it's Liverpool or Man United"

Just a couple of horrendous quotes I've seen from supposed fans. It's really damaging to what responsible clubs are trying to do in this league when 3 of the strongest regional clubs are owned and run by foreign gamblers. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:30pm
Those quotes are really alarming. It makes you wonder what is the point of it all!
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:31pm

Just a couple of horrendous quotes I've seen from supposed fans. It's really damaging to what responsible clubs are trying to do in this league when 3 of the strongest regional clubs are owned and run by foreign gamblers. 

Can you not be responsible and run by "foreign gamblers"

Are "foreign gamblers" worse than domestic gamblers?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

No but fans should have the best interest of the club as a priority. When short term success is put ahead of long-term viability that leads to bad headlines for the league, always has done. Fan ownership is the best way to ensure clubs stay active but when fans sell up at the merest promise of short term success that's very disappointing. 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm

No but fans should have the best interest of the club as a priority. When short term success is put ahead of long-term viability that leads to bad headlines for the league, always has done. Fan ownership is the best way to ensure clubs stay active but when fans sell up at the merest promise of short term success that's very disappointing. 

I understand what you're saying, I just can't figure out which bracket you have put Dundalk in in the bit I hilighted in bold

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm

I understand what you're saying, I just can't figure out which bracket you have put Dundalk in in the bit I hilighted in bold

I have very much put Dundalk in the bracket of questionable foreign investment. And while I accept that they are far from Arkaga I still don't know what their game is. Also I await hearing of any investment of note that isn't in the first team. I am happy to be corrected on that? What's the wage bill at Dundalk now? Circa €2m? Is there much community efforts going on? Attendances have been pretty poor this year from my admittedly casual observation. Pumping money into the first team in the hope of breaking Europe while the only long-term investment is a bit of concrete being laid would worry me. 
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:56pm

I saw some fella saying this on twitter. Absolutely disgusted by it to be honest. That sort of mentality has been too prevalent in the league for far too long with way too many clubs not having any long term plan at all. Galway fans fought hard to get their club back up and running and then just hand it over like that. I hope it doesn't go belly up but if it does they won't be getting much sympathy.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm

I have very much put Dundalk in the bracket of questionable foreign investment. And while I accept that they are far from Arkaga I still don't know what their game is. Also I await hearing of any investment of note that isn't in the first team. I am happy to be corrected on that? What's the wage bill at Dundalk now? Circa €2m? Is there much community efforts going on? Attendances have been pretty poor this year from my admittedly casual observation. Pumping money into the first team in the hope of breaking Europe while the only long-term investment is a bit of concrete being laid would worry me. 

While not really for this thread, but, I have no idea what the wage bill is, but like yourselves we moved to 52 week contracts, so it's obviously increased. We do seem to have a stronger squad than in previous years, not sure if that is pumping money into the first team or now though. We also have the addition of a CEO on the pay roll. Community efforts have carried on as is from the previous owners, we still have the same general manager (brother of one of the previous managers) so i expect the community work will continue. there have also been some ground improvements, nothing major but also nothing the previous owners couldn't have done

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:16pm

While not really for this thread, but, I have no idea what the wage bill is, but like yourselves we moved to 52 week contracts, so it's obviously increased. We do seem to have a stronger squad than in previous years, not sure if that is pumping money into the first team or now though. We also have the addition of a CEO on the pay roll. Community efforts have carried on as is from the previous owners, we still have the same general manager (brother of one of the previous managers) so i expect the community work will continue. there have also been some ground improvements, nothing major but also nothing the previous owners couldn't have done

That's fair enough, and possibly my guess of the wage bill is way off. If it's not though than I don't see how Dundalk can generate the turnovers to meet their financial commitments without progress in Europe. That's what got a lot of clubs into trouble in the past and it seems to be happening again. 

I guess it's possible Dundalk pay Adorjan, Tagbajumi, Hoban, Duffy etc. 500 quid a week but I doubt it. 
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:26pm
Last night was very disappointing. Regardless of the fact that I think that fan ownership is the way forward, we really do not know enough about the investors or how they intend to make a return on their investment to have said yes to the proposal.

The co-op has not been a success as of yet due to a lack of buy-in from the general public and a lack of effort from most of the members, myself included. But we've only been at it for half a season. To throw it away for a pipe dream is a bit sickening.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
The club was going nowhere to be fair.  They couldn't afford to sack the manager (until now) and results have been awful and Galway werent going to make the playoffs which would have been a bit of a joke.  this is a great opportunity, not saying there arent risks, but what was the alternative?  Wasting away in the lower half of the 1st division or getting relegated every other year?    Galway could potentially win the LOI in a few years if the investment comes in.  Galway Utd have 2 trophies to their name and are the unwanted bastard son of Galway while the golden child Connacht Rugby gets all the publicity and investment.  Galway Utd doesn't currently have a training pitch and is getting kicked off training pitches here and there.  Now there will be a training ground and investment in underage football.

Worst case scenario the club starts again.  I personally think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The club was going nowhere to be fair.  They couldn't afford to sack the manager (until now) and results have been awful and Galway werent going to make the playoffs which would have been a bit of a joke.  this is a great opportunity, not saying there arent risks, but what was the alternative?  Wasting away in the lower half of the 1st division or getting relegated every other year?    Galway could potentially win the LOI in a few years if the investment comes in.  Galway Utd have 2 trophies to their name and are the unwanted bastard son of Galway while the golden child Connacht Rugby gets all the publicity and investment.  Galway Utd doesn't currently have a training pitch and is getting kicked off training pitches here and there.  Now there will be a training ground and investment in underage football.

Worst case scenario the club starts again.  I personally think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Disagree with all this and would hope they are denied a license to re-enter when they go bust. We don't need that level irresponsibility in the league. Galway fans would have done well to think of the years they had no club to support when voting last night. 

Galway are down one year and fan owned for six months. A pathetic capitulation, it was a bit hard so they gave up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Disagree with all this and would hope they are denied a license to re-enter when they go bust. We don't need that level irresponsibility in the league. Galway fans would have done well to think of the years they had no club to support when voting last night. 

Galway are down one year and fan owned for six months. A pathetic capitulation, it was a bit hard so they gave up.

Would ya go away and sh*te. LOL
The Saudis were putting more money on the table than anything the club had dreamed of. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
So you have to take it? There is a term for that. No pride or respect in themselves, will take the easy way out and cry foul when it inevitably fails.
They deserve everything that they get.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic