You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Falling out of love with the league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 3:44am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

To pose a question, where's the harm in stepping away from UEFA Tournaments? the Cynics and anti-Modernists could convincingly argue that UEFA Tournaments are 'nothing tournaments' and 'nothing games'. If domestic cup mathes from 19th Century tournaments can be deleted, so cut the cord on cups involving two or four matches approx., usually..
Money. Rovers are in the process of building a training ground and full time acadamy to EPL specs paid for by 2011 money. I have no doubt UCD now have wiggle room based on last year.

Also fans and players love it and it's the only benchmark of progression or regression

Or put another way. On behalf of the bigger clubs, you can f**k right off if you think we are giving up on Europe so the smaller clubs can have a one division system to pull them up without merit

Ah bless you RTID.
You really think there's a red cent left from 2011/that any of it was invested in anything other than over paid players.

The nice man with the deep pockets is helping with the academy.
And no, it will not be to EPL specs.
Google "Man city academy".
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 9:42pm
On the basis I have seen the accounts and the plans, I think I am better qualified to comment than you. The member who is lending the club money is doing so to lift it from good to excellent and the FAI are now on board. It would be happening regardless of that loan.

It won't be to Man City level but will be better than some of the EPL clubs facilities

Edited by roverstillidie - 01 Aug 2016 at 9:43pm
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 11:48pm
Can`t say I agree with you there "RKeane". I`m all for promoting youth to our senior squad and those four teens who recently signed contracts are genuine prospects. Ok, so a lot of teens peak early and don`t go on to develop into their twenties, but we`re sending out the right message to other young talent out there: Rovers will give youth a chance and help develop their game.
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:51am
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Attended most Rovers matches up until last season and the main reason I was getting turned off attending was the negative football Rovers play, it's dreadful. We went from having a solid team (Twigg,O'Donnell,Murray,Sives,Stewart,Finn) to signing poor players, Rovers gave 4 youth team players contracts but that's another poor decision as some of them players aren't good enough for youth football never mind LOI. Rovers have also began to hand the managers job to any Joe Blogg and they are falling further behind Dundalk/Cork,
3 of the 4 played against Bohs and ran them ragged. Any Joe Blogg? Kenny and Fenlon made sense even if they didn't work out. Croly was a gamble but there was a logic there .
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

To pose a question, where's the harm in stepping away from UEFA Tournaments? the Cynics and anti-Modernists could convincingly argue that UEFA Tournaments are 'nothing tournaments' and 'nothing games'. If domestic cup mathes from 19th Century tournaments can be deleted, so cut the cord on cups involving two or four matches approx., usually..
Money. Rovers are in the process of building a training ground and full time acadamy to EPL specs paid for by 2011 money. I have no doubt UCD now have wiggle room based on last year.

Also fans and players love it and it's the only benchmark of progression or regression

Or put another way. On behalf of the bigger clubs, you can f**k right off if you think we are giving up on Europe so the smaller clubs can have a one division system to pull them up without merit

Circa 2.4m this year already from UEFA, was always more in favour of going 10/10 than single division but not competing in UEFA competition is one of the craziest ideas I've ever hear, we'd be stuck with the 5k each from the FAI.

Thanks for the replies.  I recognise the spike in TV money from this season and last awarded as UEFA prize-money dwarfs other measurements of success.  But be aware of the distribution throughout Europe of all the money in a season, not just awarded to our own NA.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 12:17am
Speaking of UCD, did they not make over 400K last season from Europe? That was a massive amount for the club, relatively speaking, and I honestly thought they`d do a lot better this season. I`d love to know how those hundreds of thousands were spent.
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Speaking of UCD, did they not make over 400K last season from Europe? That was a massive amount for the club, relatively speaking, and I honestly thought they`d do a lot better this season. I`d love to know how those hundreds of thousands were spent.

Thats right €410,000. UEFA season ended May/June, we may not have recieved the money yet. Much of it will go on preparation, travel and Player bonuses. Captain Robbie Benson would have been the Players' representative, he's really rather good..... as you know he negotiated a path to goal through the BATE defence on Tuesday.

The spike in prize-money comes from the new cycle of TV money. HD TVs are far more generous than cathose tube tvs ever were, its something my gerenation should be more self-critical of.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:06am
A lot of comments in here and in other threads about how poor the league was, and we have been described as default champions as some, we have been told that the only was to gauge how good a team was how they performed in Europe, so where does this leave us now?  

It's already the best run by an Irish team in Europe, matched shels from one game away from champions league groups but with the bonus of Europa league games, and went a round further than shamrock did in 2011 and got automatic qualification, as MON said himself last week on RTE

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

A lot of comments in here and in other threads about how poor the league was, and we have been described as default champions as some, we have been told that the only was to gauge how good a team was how they performed in Europe, so where does this leave us now?  

It's already the best run by an Irish team in Europe, matched shels from one game away from champions league groups but with the bonus of Europa league games, and went a round further than shamrock did in 2011 and got automatic qualification, as MON said himself last week on RTE

Worth noting that 2016 League Champions City also won 2 ties which I believe I'm correct in saying is as good as any LOI team have ever done. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:14am
yes winning two ties in europa league, matching pats a few years ago, 2016 champions, congratulations Clap

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:18am
Even when you lose you are bad winners.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:18am

yes winning two ties in europa league, matching pats a few years ago, 2016 champions, congratulations Clap

Cheers Shoco LOLClap Some potentially very exciting draws for Dundalk looking forward to the draw on Friday (hope they're big and distracting, even if we only win when ye do)
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
Yeah some big teams in that first pot, probably more dodgy looking teams in the 2nd and 3rd though, could do with out some of the travelling involved with them

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm

pats twice won Ties in rounds two and three, losing out in the playoff round, not third round like Cork did.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

pats twice won Ties in rounds two and three, losing out in the playoff round, not third round like Cork did.

Once when ye beat Sovetov, my point was no one has won three ties in a year so to have two clubs win two ties this year is hugely encouraging.
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
Fkucing crowds not great so the OP"s suggestion is depressingly true yeh ?? . 700 odd at our away game V Finn Harps last night and we most likely had as much as the home support for the Cup game V Athlone last week and we only brought 300 or so to that. Cork last night with circa 2.5 k and they are competing for the title . At a time when we have and still are represented in Europe just turns the knife in the back as our football fans turn their backs on our League . The football is pretty good on the whole so its sad to see our League failing - breaks the heart . Getting my ticket in Ballybofey last night from a small shop near the ground it was hard to miss the almost dejected look in the faces of the two lads there selling the tickets . They will never give up hope I bet and will carry on working for Harps best they can and I suppose thats all we can do ,,,,,,do our best for our clubs and hope the support will grow . League of Ireland football - I hate some of the clubs and abuse their fans big time but ya know what ?? God knows I respect those same lads immensely . Mental note to me - stop thinking out loud ya gobsihte . 
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic