You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Falling out of love with the league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falling out of love with the league
    Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:46am
Only been to half the amount of games this year that I was at last year. (Still about 10 all the same) Really struggling to motivate myself to go. The issues I'm having are that I live close to Bray,Rovers who are both awful to watch or Ucd/Cabinteely who play in the worst league in Europe.

The individual standard of the average player is as low as it's ever been. The crowds are decreasing,atmosphere non existant at most matches. Teams are set up very negatively. Intent not to lose,no focus on entertainment.

After coming home from the highs and emotion of the Euros I have absolutely no desire to go to a game. Last year I would have went to Pats and Rovers European games this week and probably the Bray match but the appeal is really going. Going to see Bray 17s on Sunday which I am looking forward to.

Anyone hit a bit of a wall with the league?
Theres only one sport that matters..
Sponsored Links

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 9:49am
Anseo.

Been going to pats since the early 90's. Its never been in a worse state. The public could not give a f**k. There is no ambition being shown by any club other than Dundalk. Its become a chore and there is much more temptation to do other things on a Friday night.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 10:35am
Dying on its feet and has been for years now . Needs to be supported and given a chance to improve - thats the only way our LOI will survive SUPPORT THE EFFIN THING !! . Piss poor countries throughout Europe and further afield support their domestic leagues but our troops are head over heels in love with englands offerings - I have voiced my opinion re that in another post some time back and was guffawed and sneered at by our ""travelling ""footie folk on here . If the league is supported it will improve . So will the grounds and generally whats on offer at grounds . A decent wage and Im not talking thousands either will get more lads giving football a shot . This can only be achieved if we start now - go to games for its future so our kids have a game here to play in and support . Fkucin kills me to see whats going on at Rovers but I cant stop supporting my team and as a consequence the LOI - in the blood I suppose . W A R . 
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Anseo.

Been going to pats since the early 90's. Its never been in a worse state. The public could not give a f**k. There is no ambition being shown by any club other than Dundalk. Its become a chore and there is much more temptation to do other things on a Friday night.

I wonder what that would be

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 2:03pm
Always going to be hard after the Euros when we were on somewhat of a high . 
Look 5 weeks until the next home game at Terryland by that time i will be ready for it trust me Approve
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 2:05pm
You're not the only one.
It was a real chore to go to Rovers v Bray a few nights ago and it turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever witnessed.

The whole league needs a real kick in the balls.
I've gone through my opinions on what should be done re European play offs, 10 team PD (condense the playing pool), 3rd tier, kill the league cup... .

That stuff won't make an immediate impact and we're probably looking at 10-15 years before the underage start to produce and hold players who can make a real difference to the product.
Where the fook the league is in 15 years is anyone's guess!
Just to end on a positive note Boy Z, UCD got through a round in Europe last year and 3/5 of the last relegation play offs have been won by First Division sides.
So calling the First Division the worst league in Europe is probably a bit dramatic. I can't see the top 4 or 5 FD sides having any major problems competing in the Gibraltar, San Marino or Luxembourg PDs.

Edited by Bitored - 02 Jul 2016 at 2:13pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 11:35pm
Was at the limerick-ucd match tonight after a month of watching footie on the box and it was fantastic 7 goals, 2 red cards, 2 penalties.

That said it was the lowest crowd of the season cos it partly went up against the Germany-Italy match. The league's marketing to the fore again...
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 12:00am
First time in a few years I didn't get a season ticket. I couldn't be bother with the likes of Longford, Bray, Finn Harps or Sligo. Low crowds, poor atmosphere and gammy games.Everyone thinks it's great that Wexford got promoted but people just don't want to see them.

Edited by corkery - 03 Jul 2016 at 12:04am
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 12:04am
Have to agree with this. Was dissapointed when the league took its break but have to say i havent missed it one bit despite not having a home game for over a month. Will still go watch the games but does feel more like a chore than anything else given the poor attendances and very defensive style of a lot of teams. 
10 years time it will be the same situation with the only difference a few teams might be replaced by other equally poor supported teams. 

Did anything ever come from that conroy report?
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:08am
Yep, it happened a few years ago for me. The word chore has been used a few times and that is exactly what it became.

There are just too many games and it gets to a point where winning and losing doesn't matter. You don't get exited about games until the last few weeks.

The league started to eat itself by running itself on the basis of more games, more money. You need to create a quality competition, not just bleed the fans dry by having game after game after game.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 10:01am
Sometimes, last night was only second time I've seen Bray win this season, gets tough when you're getting beat every single week

Connolly finally come good now though and Sullivan back so expecting some decent football next few weeks
bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:01pm
Limerick's match was one of the games of the season last night baffles me how it was scheduled for the same time as the Germany game surely afternoon today or yesterday afternoon was more feasible?
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Yep, it happened a few years ago for me. The word chore has been used a few times and that is exactly what it became.

There are just too many games and it gets to a point where winning and losing doesn't matter. You don't get exited about games until the last few weeks.

The league started to eat itself by running itself on the basis of more games, more money. You need to create a quality competition, not just bleed the fans dry by having game after game after game.

Excellent post.

The league has got its self caught somewhere between a baseball season with a couple of hundred games a season & the community games where everyone wins something eventually.

The Icelandic league is played from May to September and they are ahead of us in the coefficients, yet people complain about our off season!
No reason we couldn't do something similar. Play 20 odd games and a cup off before the big leagues kick back in.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 12:28pm
I think it happens when you get older aswell, priorities start changing. Before, in my late teens early twenties I used to be mad all week trying to arrange swaps or time off in work to get to Bray away or something like that, now I just keep an eye on most away games through twitter. I was up in Belfast last Thursday and its after knocking the stuffing out of me, should City get through to the second round, I have no interest in following them to Sweden, not at this point and time in my life anyway. 

Cant forget either, the league is as poor now as its ever been. Bar an average Dundalk team who are made out to be like Barcelona, and a Cork City team who would struggle in the leagues of the 2000's, this league has absolutely nothing to offer, as Corkery said, people just dont want to turn up to watch Wexford or Finn Harps who are on generally the same level as Avondale in the MSL. 
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 4:29pm
When fans of Premier division teams feel this way the signs are there of a big problem. It's even worse for first division teams with the repetitive 8 team league and the fact that Limerick are walking away with the league.Roddy Collins has tried to drum up interest and investment in Waterford but hasn't had any joy and watching a team struggling in bottom half of first division just isn't getting people out to the RSC.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:32pm
Up in tallaght you can see that the novalty of havin rovers playing here has worn off somewhat. Initially you were seeing a lot of peole going to games and a lot of jerseys around. Its probably reverted back to just the old school supporters (my assumption).
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

I think it happens when you get older aswell, priorities start changing. Before, in my late teens early twenties I used to be mad all week trying to arrange swaps or time off in work to get to Bray away or something like that, now I just keep an eye on most away games through twitter. I was up in Belfast last Thursday and its after knocking the stuffing out of me, should City get through to the second round, I have no interest in following them to Sweden, not at this point and time in my life anyway. 

Cant forget either, the league is as poor now as its ever been. Bar an average Dundalk team who are made out to be like Barcelona, and a Cork City team who would struggle in the leagues of the 2000's, this league has absolutely nothing to offer, as Corkery said, people just dont want to turn up to watch Wexford or Finn Harps who are on generally the same level as Avondale in the MSL. 

In my innocence I thought it was only john caulfield who openly looked down on other clubs but it seems it's all cork fans too. Who are you to be looking down on Finn harps? If they're so sh*t why aren't you thrashing them? A strong league needs strong regional clubs like Harps etc.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

In my innocence I thought it was only john caulfield who openly looked down on other clubs but it seems it's all cork fans too. Who are you to be looking down on Finn harps? If they're so sh*t why aren't you thrashing them? A strong league needs strong regional clubs like Harps etc.

+1
No LOI clubs fans should be looking down on any other club.
We're all only a bad month away from needing the begging caps out. Wouldn't think a cork fan would need to be told that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic