You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 128>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Moral of the story:

Irishman asserts he's going to the world cup to win it:  Nothing wrong with that.

Englishman asserts they are going to the world cup to win it: Getting ahead of yourselves and arrogant.

Holy good jaysis, do you not read what people write to you LOL

The whole basis for this is that they had assumed themselves in the final after assuming they had the easy route to the final. Can you honestly not see the difference?
They were cocky but I didn't meet anyone over here that assumed that they were in the final tbf
Several pubs around here were advertising World Cup Final parties, one in Norfolk built a bloody grandstand for the semi-finals and final. Loads and loads of people had booked next Monday off.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm

Ian Wright: “Why shouldn’t we get excited about it? It’s something to get excited about. People weren’t even expecting us to get to the semi-final, why couldn’t we have got excited about being in there (final)?”
Sure he said it himself that they were excited about playing in the final.

Wright is an idiot but he is dead Wright Wright Wright about that. Again, how does that assume they were in the final? He was excited at the prospect of getting to the final which to be fair they were very close to getting into. At no point did he or any pundit assume that they were already there.

Are you telling me that if Ireland were in the semi final you wouldn't be excited about the final and thinking ahead 'we could be playing france'?   R.Keane said they shouldn't get excited until they are in the final which is just stupid and bitter from him. 

Again I would be the first to call out disrespectful behaviour from England's pundits but there wasn't any.   I thought they were humble in defeat and didn't blame anyone and were satisfied with the team effort.  Keane just doesn't like anyone enjoying themselves.  Keane couldn't enjoy Utd winning the champions League in 1999 and was concerned the players were losing the run of themselves int he dressing room in the Nou Camp after the game!

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:45pm
Ian Wright: “Why shouldn’t we get excited about it? It’s something to get excited about. People weren’t even expecting us to get to the semi-final, why couldn’t we have got excited about being in there (final)?”
Sure he said it himself that they were excited about playing in the final.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:36pm

Moral of the story:

Irishman asserts he's going to the world cup to win it:  Nothing wrong with that.

Englishman asserts they are going to the world cup to win it: Getting ahead of yourselves and arrogant.

The whole basis for this is that they had assumed themselves in the final after assuming they had the easy route to the final. Can you honestly not see the difference?
They were cocky but I didn't meet anyone over here that assumed that they were in the final tbf

I work with an English chap that assumed it, so much so he didn't show his face to work yesterday. I also have a few mates from the UK that were fairly certain they'd be in the final easily

And these people work for ITV no doubt

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:34pm

Moral of the story:

I work with an English chap that assumed it, so much so he didn't show his face to work yesterday. I also have a few mates from the UK that were fairly certain they'd be in the final easily
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:23pm

Moral of the story:

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:12pm
Can you give me examples that the English assumed they were already in the final or are you just going to waffle more?

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:05pm
It's grand, none of us know English people or have family and friends living over there telling us what it's like, we don't use the internet outside of YBIG so we just made it up because we're bored. We're just a bitter little Country that can't stand seeing the Brits do well so we pretend they big themselves up when they bottle it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:46pm

Moral of the story:

Welcome back to the party.  Who assumed they were in the final?  Ian Wright? Gary Neville?  From what I see the Irish are assuming the English assumed they were in the final.

Can you tell me how we would have reacted had we been in the semis?  Do you not think RTE would be sending out camera crews to the streets left , right and centre interviewing people who no doubt would be saying stuff like  ''we are bringing the World Cup home etc''

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:41pm

Moral of the story:

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:32pm
The problem here stems from the fact that we live in a country that has constant coverage of English TV and written press. 
I’m sure it isn’t much different to most countrys, give or take the odd crazy red top headline that shouldn’t be taken seriously

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 13 Jul 2018 at 1:33pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:00pm
Remember the interview that Alf Ramsey gave prior to the 1966 World Cup when he said unequivocally that England would win the 1966 World Cup. His belief was not perceived as an arrogant boast but seen as a sign of his single minded conviction, determination and confidence in his players.
Nowadays, the UK media (mainly red tops) are full of gingoistic hyperbole and unfounded expectations deliberately constructed to sell newspapers. The irony of all this is the current hubris evolves from England's success in 1966.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
Moral of the story:

What is wrong with the fans getting carried away?  Its part of the fun. We all thought we would get out of the group stages in 2012 before the tournament!  Who's delusional in that instance?  The fans aren't playing the matches. The players are so the fans can think whatever they like and enjoy themselves.

Keane is a miserable git who sl*gged off the Irish fans in 2012.  If it was up to him we would all go to matches silent , in the zone, and not enjoying it as there is a match to be played. Its not enough for players to not get ahead of themselves but fans too.

Keane sl*gged off United fans for not getting behind the team when they were struggling , and he sl*gs off Irish fans for getting behind the team when they were struggling.Wacko

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:40pm
Nothing wrong with a player going to the world cup asserting that he isn't there to make up the numbers and wants to win it with his team. A lot wrong with media, fans on social media etc looking several games ahead that they take for a given. We would be 'as bad' if, for example, we put up articles along the lines of "here are the teams Ireland will want to face/avoid in next month's World cup Draw" after the first leg in Copenhagen. 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 13 Jul 2018 at 12:41pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The red tops were saying it but would you expect anything else.

Once Spain went out and England beat Colombia then the media and social media went crazy that ‘football was coming home’.

Was it over the top: Of course it was
Was some level of optimism justified: Yes, the draw really opened up. Croatia’s route to the final looks easy on paper (not one top 10 team played) and they made hard work of it.
Yeah this is it....Don't blame them for losing the run of themselves after being sh*t for so long but some of the people who woudn't know a football from a shuttlecock were the ones saying they've done it from my experience. Proper football fans I was talking to were more pragmatic
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:33am
Ian Wright is the very embodiment of a S*n reader, which is a bit ironic for a black man, so unintentionally Keane was having a go at the S*n.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:25am
So was Keane having a go at The Sun in his rant at Ian Wright?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 10:51am

In 1990 half a million people or whatever it was turned up to welcome home the team after losing a quarter final.  Where were these people 3 years earlier when we were getting sh*te crowds?
17,000 turned up on a lovely sunny day to watch us beat Brasil in 1987.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 128>
  Share Topic