You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Belgrade - 5th September 2016 - Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belgrade - 5th September 2016 - Travel & Acomm
    Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm
I know it's early yet (and there's no guarantee it'll be in Belgrade either) but for this trip, maybe a flight into a Croatian coastal resort and a train/bus to Belgrade?

Will probably only do the 3/4 nights rather than a week as the 2 other aways are so close together.

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Jul 2015 at 4:13pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:22pm
All Serbias matches in this campaign have been in Belgrade. I expect it to remain that way. 

Dubrovnik has direct flights which are certainly an option. Driving is not though. The roads are single lane roads you'd find in 1980s Ireland...could take you 8hrs at least non-stop. I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to take a hire car from Croatia into Bosnia never mind onto Serbia so then you are looking at a bus to Sarajevo, spending the night there and then getting a bus the next day. I've done the Sarajevo to Belgrade leg in reverse and it took 8hrs on a bus. A fascinating trip if you want to see the after affects of ethnic cleansing. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

All Serbias matches in this campaign have been in Belgrade. I expect it to remain that way. 

Dubrovnik has direct flights which are certainly an option. Driving is not though. The roads are single lane roads you'd find in 1980s Ireland...could take you 8hrs at least non-stop. I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to take a hire car from Croatia into Bosnia never mind onto Serbia so then you are looking at a bus to Sarajevo, spending the night there and then getting a bus the next day. I've done the Sarajevo to Belgrade leg in reverse and it took 8hrs on a bus. A fascinating trip if you want to see the after affects of ethnic cleansing. 

Like yourself I'd be big into politics and history but I always find I don't have the energy for any museum trips when boozing at Ireland away games.

I wouldn't mind a couple of nights in a Croatian coastal city and a bus over to Belgrade for the night before and night off the match.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:43pm

Sounds awesome
https://www.orourkeda.blog

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:44pm
Cardiff last.

We could have a Glasgow situation on our hands. Either that or an empty stadium
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm

Your last line reminds me of the walk from Glasgow CC to Parkhead...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Like yourself I'd be big into politics and history but I always find I don't have the energy for any museum trips when boozing at Ireland away games.

I wouldn't mind a couple of nights in a Croatian coastal city and a bus over to Belgrade for the night before and night off the match.

Trust me the bus journey is a two day affair with a night in Sarajevo in between. If with lads probably best to start from Split instead of Dubrovnik [full of lovely Croatian ladies and nightlife is exceptional]. If you want to do the bus journey to Sarajevo then I suggest stopping off at Mostar for a few hours before continuing on your way with a later bus to Sarajevo. Mostar is a lovely old town with loads of history, a famous bridge and a bloody recent past.

Sarajevo is cool and well worth a visit. Not much of a party scene but the experience of being in an almost completely muslim city in Europe is interesting. Fresh graveyards all over the city where the siege dead are buried.

The rough bit is the journey between Sarajevo and the Bosnian/Serbian border. Beautiful hills and gorges. Lots and lots of new graveyards with white pillar headstones. I estimate 1 in 3 or 4 houses along the road is a burnt out shell. You'll pass plenty of burnt out mosques as well as minefield signs along the road. Cross into Serbia and the landscape flattens out into a massive plain, like the midlands in Ireland minus the bogs, all the way to Belgrade.

Well worth it even if a bit of a trek. You'll pass through a Catholic, Muslim and Eastern Orthodox countries in two days and witness the horrible effects of war.

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Jul 2015 at 5:02pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Your last line reminds me of the walk from Glasgow CC to Parkhead...

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm
Loved Belgrade the last time I was there, got the night train from Sofia. 

Never met friendlier people, would have went out of there way if you asked them anything, if they didn't know they would phone someone to find out haha.
caseballs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm
I'm sure we will find better ways but when I went I did Dublin - Zurich - Belgrade, Belgrade - Munich - Dublin for 320 euro with Lufthansa.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:53pm
Dublin to Budapest on the Saturday, 1 night in Budapest,on to belgrade on Sunday by bus or train. Cheap as chips.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Dublin to Budapest on the Saturday, 1 night in Budapest,on to belgrade on Sunday by bus or train. Cheap as chips.
Thinking of doing the same for the craic. Although the Friday night flight from Stansted is tempting.

Although be warned there's horrific warnings about the night train to Belgrade. Thefts are notorious on it. Will be taking the train or bus during the day. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Jul 2015 at 9:59pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:34pm
Didn't see this thread - www.airbnb.com/rooms/2087451 , great spot on the river €16 a night
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Didn't see this thread - www.airbnb.com/rooms/2087451 , great spot on the river €16 a night
I can personally vouch for this spot. Stayed there in 2009 on an extended trip after the match in Sofia.

I spent hours sipping beer and chatting to a local on the decking of this place overlooking the river Sava. 
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:45pm

Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I can personally vouch for this spot. Stayed there in 2009 on an extended trip after the match in Sofia.

I spent hours sipping beer and chatting to a local on the decking of this place overlooking the river Sava. 

It caught my eye when I was on Air BnB earlier booking something I said I would have a quick look at Belgrade & my plan would be similar to what you were at .... Well the sipping beer & chatting part
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 12:50am
plenty of cheap options for this.
unprotected layovers
Dublin-Paris- Belgrade Ryanair / wizz air
Dublin- Luton -Belgrade Ryanair / Wizz air
protected layovers
Dublin - Istanbul - Belgrade Turkish Airlines
Dublin - Frankfurt - Belgrade Lufthansa
Single Flight Option
Dublin - Budapest Aerlingus or Ryanair
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:26pm
If we don't qualify for France lads, how soon do he reckon ye'll book the flights for this?

I would aim before Christmas as it's always expensive in and around then for people.

November (providing we're not in the playoffs) would probably be the ideal time to book given the aways in Faro and Warsaw.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:32pm
Surely it's a personal decision based on personal finance but usually the earlier you book the cheaper if is. Everything after that is to do with peoples own personal commitments.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
  Share Topic