Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shamrock Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 375>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Must be the worst Shams side since they went down? 
Fenlon left us in fourth, still in fourth. The latter half of the season has been rebuilding and shedding dead wood. We know now how good the young players coming through are. And its fourth. Manager will be announced soon and signings will come to bolster.
Fair play on being optimistic, but it could also be said that you lost 8-0 over two games with City, were outplayed by a very average Bohs and gave Dundalk their easiest game of the season. 
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:04pm

Fair play on being optimistic, but it could also be said that you lost 8-0 over two games with City, were outplayed by a very average Bohs and gave Dundalk their easiest game of the season. 
Am I happy with recent form? No. Do I see the direction the club is going and am reasonably content in the circumstances to shed the waste and see out the season? Ish.

Worst team since Roddy 10 years ago? Not sure. Trevor Kenny's teams had more talent but were harder to watch and also took some unmerciful hidings. Again, we are still fourth, so it can't be that bad, despite some very hard to take beatings.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:14pm
Watching this team has been much more enjoyable than watching Nutsy and Crolys teams, and the hidings Kenny's team took were more painful.

the problem with the team is not that it's too young, it's that for the most part the senior players that nutsy had left were either brutal, always injured or had disciplinary/personality issues.

All we have to do is crawl over the line into a european spot for this season.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:15pm

Am I happy with recent form? No. Do I see the direction the club is going and am reasonably content in the circumstances to shed the waste and see out the season? Ish.

Worst team since Roddy 10 years ago? Not sure. Trevor Kenny's teams had more talent but were harder to watch and also took some unmerciful hidings. Again, we are still fourth, so it can't be that bad, despite some very hard to take beatings.
It is the manner of those beatings that leads me to say that, absolutely awful.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm
They were hard to take, but I recall taking a serious beating off Pats under Scully and MON each. We are limping out the season, no mistake, but I am happy that players who had no right being at the club like the Brennans and North are gone. A decision has been taken to not go down that journeyman route any more. Signing Pats best player of last season has failed and failed for a while. Short term pain etc.
Stick that cash in a pot and use it next year. We know now that the kids on the fringes are good enough to compete but not good enough yet for a challenge. We are confident the kids behind them have potential to raise the bar again. So lets get a manager in, which I believe is imminent, and agree a new signing policy to augment the academy structure.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm

They were hard to take, but I recall taking a serious beating off Pats under Scully and MON each. We are limping out the season, no mistake, but I am happy that players who had no right being at the club like the Brennans and North are gone. A decision has been taken to not go down that journeyman route any more. Signing Pats best player of last season has failed and failed for a while. Short term pain etc.
Stick that cash in a pot and use it next year. We know now that the kids on the fringes are good enough to compete but not good enough yet for a challenge. We are confident the kids behind them have potential to raise the bar again. So lets get a manager in, which I believe is imminent, and agree a new signing policy to augment the academy structure.
The performances mentioned would suggest otherwise though.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:39pm

Some do, yes. But we drew with Dundalk up there, fought back from 2-0 down in the Brandywell, were unlucky to be held by Pats, beaten minnow clubs like Galway, Wexford and Athlone with ease. We know we are behind Dundalk and Cork and they proved it. I am more worried about losing to mid table muck like that D7 shower to be honest.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:47pm

Some do, yes. But we drew with Dundalk up there, fought back from 2-0 down in the Brandywell, were unlucky to be held by Pats, beaten minnow clubs like Galway, Wexford and Athlone with ease. We know we are behind Dundalk and Cork and they proved it. I am more worried about losing to mid table muck like that D7 shower to be honest.
We will see, I don't expect them to be anywhere near the top of the table for a good few years.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:00pm
Define near the top of the table? We are fourth with an outside chance of third and qualified for Europe with 5 players over the age of 25 for half a season.

Your concern is admirable and touching, but I think you are being wishfully pessimistic.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:26pm

Define near the top of the table? We are fourth with an outside chance of third and qualified for Europe with 5 players over the age of 25 for half a season.

Your concern is admirable and touching, but I think you are being wishfully pessimistic.
Top of the table is first, fourth is nowhere.  We are near the top of the table but not good enough and, as mentioned, beat you 8-0 in a week. I think you are being wishfully optimistic and it seems Shamrock fans have been so for a while. There is constant talk of improvement despite constant regression, the regression up to now has been slow but it seems this Bradser chap is speeding it up nicely. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 2:16pm
Target for last season. Europe. Tick.
Target for this season. Europe. Tick.

One of the stattos says if the league started the day Bradley took over we would be in 7th place. That is clearly not good enough and would be our worst finish since 2008. But its clear what has happened at Rovers the last couple of months and where we plan on being in the medium term. It may not work out, but I am happy to write off a couple of seasons of 'just' qualifying for Europe if we can fundamentally change how the club is run, and that is what we are doing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

What is the aim of this current 'project' at Shamrock Rovers? It's like something someone would try in football manager. They are going way over the top on giving youth a chance, barely any senior players in the squad anymore, between last night and the hammering by Cork plus getting knocked out of the cup by them surely they have to realise it isn't working?? 

Will there be massive overhaul in the close season? I presume a new coach will be coming in, and he will need to bring in a good few players if he wants to turn them into a team competing for the title.
The aim of the project is to stop signing duds like Quigley, the Brennans and North because they had a good season or two elsewhere because it simply does not work. We have a very good youth structure which will only improve with the current investment and aim to have a spine of a squad from this pool and sign established players differently. This year saw a shedding of total wage stealers who were no better than the kids that replaced them. There have been some horrific results, but we know that with no investment we are a mid table side. In the short term we may not win the league, we haven't competed properly since MON left anyway, and fans accept that, because we see the plans and believe conceptually in what the board are trying to do.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm

What is the aim of this current 'project' at Shamrock Rovers? It's like something someone would try in football manager. They are going way over the top on giving youth a chance, barely any senior players in the squad anymore, between last night and the hammering by Cork plus getting knocked out of the cup by them surely they have to realise it isn't working?? 

Will there be massive overhaul in the close season? I presume a new coach will be coming in, and he will need to bring in a good few players if he wants to turn them into a team competing for the title.
The aim of the project is to stop signing duds like Quigley, the Brennans and North because they had a good season or two elsewhere because it simply does not work. We have a very good youth structure which will only improve with the current investment and aim to have a spine of a squad from this pool and sign established players differently. This year saw a shedding of total wage stealers who were no better than the kids that replaced them. There have been some horrific results, but we know that with no investment we are a mid table side. In the short term we may not win the league, we haven't competed properly since MON left anyway, and fans accept that, because we see the plans and believe conceptually in what the board are trying to do.
Which is fine, the problem is that we have been hearing this towards the end of the season for the last few years. I was actually trying to work out earlier where you would be if Bradley had started the season, seventh even surprised me. That is disastrous, even allowing for getting rid of some of the lads mentioned who are/were happy picking up a wage without performing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 4:44pm
So what are you suggesting? We kept the Brennans and limped out the season with a higher wagebill?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 5:02pm

So what are you suggesting? We kept the Brennans and limped out the season with a higher wagebill?
I am suggesting that you stop telling us every October that this time is different.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:25pm

Thanks for the genuine reply. Good plan in theory as signing the "big" players from within the league has been a disaster the past few years. But will it be implemented properly? I suppose we will know a lot more come March or April, whoever gets the managers job will say a lot really, I can't think of many managers or players who I think would be a good fit at Rovers and that is a bit worrying. It's not a case of Rovers just needing 1 or 2 players to strengthen the team, they need at least 4 or 5 players to go straight into the starting XI imo. 
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
So the council are bringing their stadium up to UEFA cat 4 standard, countdown until Pats move in there too?

Edited by Bitored - 17 Oct 2016 at 7:08pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:59pm
http://www.echo.ie/show/article/council-plans-for-new-third-stand-in-tallaght-stadium-approved

Stand being built at the car park end, should help with the wind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 375>
  Share Topic