You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:04pm
Marcus McGuane on the bench for Arsenal tonight. Played for us at U17s and England at u18s
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Marcus McGuane on the bench for Arsenal tonight. Played for us at U17s and England at u18s

I wonder why he changed his name from Marcus Agyei-Tabi to McGuane? Anyway, he came on for his debut on 79 mins. 

Edit * It doesn't matter. Read something online which says that he is no longer eligible for us.

Edited by grannyrule - 28 Sep 2017 at 8:24pm
The only way is up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm
McGuane is no longer eligible for us I don't believe.
We're decent enough..
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

McGuane is no longer eligible for us I don't believe.

That's cleared that up.

Previously known as Marcus Agyei-Tabi.
Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

you see the bat signal Danny ?

Haha, a wee birdie came calling. LOL

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Excellent post, I believe many of the Balkan nations also extend citizenship in a somewhat similar way to Ireland, eg. Nikica Jelavic, a member of the Croat ethnic minority in Bosnia, and numerous Albanian internationals born in Kosovo. Hungary also extend citizenship to ethnic Hungarians born in Slovakia, Tamas Priskin being an example. Romania furthermore operate a similar system I believe, and I'm sure there are many other states who do so too. It all goes to show that the situation with northern-born players lining out for the ROI is not nearly as unique as the likes of Territorial try to make it sound...

Russia might well do something similar for ethnic Russians who now live outside of Russia as a result of the break-up of the Soviet Union.

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Despite Danny's obvious amount of research, there is of course a grey area: any reading of the texts of the rules demonstrates that:

-  People whose sole link to Ireland is a NI born grandparent does not become an Irish citizen at birth, under Irish citizenship laws.  

- in such cases of "acquired nationality" FIFA requires the person to have a grandparent born in the "territory" of the association;

- notwithstanding Danny's assertion to the contrary, there are very strong arguments to say that the six counties are not within the "territory" of the FAI.  For starters, the FAI operate no control there, organise no competitions there, have no power there and - as far as FIFA is concerned - the six counties are part of a different FIFA member state.  Not to mention Territorial's comments about Derry City etc.  etc. This point is key to Danny's well-meaning but misguided conclusion and the rest of the analysis, whilst interesting from a historical perspective, falls away.

The texts leaves doubt.  It's not complicated, merely based on an interpretation using the ordinary meaning of the words, the start point of any such construction.

I haven't asserted that the north is the administrative territory of the FAI and I essentially agreed that a strict literal interpretation of the text would pose problems for the FAI, but that's evidently not how FIFA approach the situation. There are other (perfectly valid and legitimate) methods of interpreting laws, statutes and regulations besides employing a strict literal interpretation. I simply outlined (based on case study evidence, or precedents, in other words) that FIFA apply a purposive (rather than a literal) interpretation and regard the entire island of Ireland as the "territory" of the FAI for eligibility purposes because Irish nationality law applies over the entire island on a jus soli basis. 

If the IFA did take FIFA and the FAI to CAS again to challenge the prevailing interpretation of article 7 with respect to our situation, I personally think they'd have a much better chance of success than they had with Kearns as CAS could well rule that anything other than a literal interpretation is unwarranted. On the other hand, they may agree that FIFA are completely justified to interpret their own regulations by taking into account the context of their overall purposeI have no idea for certain how they might judge it. As it stands though, there is no uncertainty as far as FIFA's approach is concerned; Irish nationals born outside Ireland whose nationality spires from a northern-born grandparent are fully eligible for the FAI. The IFA are always free to challenge that with CAS, however.

Territorial's comments about Derry City are entirely incorrect. Derry are a member of the FAI. They are not affiliated with the IFA. Get in touch with the club if you wish and they'll confirm it for you: http://www.derrycityfc.net/club-information/

My concluding paragraph about the establishment of the FAI/FAIFS and the association's accession to FIFA on a 26-county basis was just a tangential piece of trivia; it has no bearing on the matter of eligibility.

Quote As regards Danny's point on Barton:

1.  Danny relies heavily on the fact that FIFA don't do an in-depth look into players before they play - he gave the example of Kinsella and another underage player.  One imagines that the same low level of rigour would have applied to Barton and so clearance in itself does not conclusively determine eligibility (how could it if, as Danny says, the other two boys were subsequently found to be ineligible?).

Absolutely not; I'm not sure why one would imagine any such thing. You're completely misreading what I've said and putting a rather bizarre and unintended spin on it. Whether it's intentional or not, I don't know. I'd like to think not, but, one way or another, I perceive a substantial degree of denialism in your post, whatever the reason for it may be. 

I have distinguished very clearly between competitive under-age football (which is tightly regulated and monitored by FIFA because it is official competition with a strict governing set of regulations) and non-competitive under-age football (which is pretty much left up to the associations to pursue as they desire, naturally because it is not organised under the auspices of FIFA). I'm not sure how you could have missed that distinction so as to misrepresent me so comprehensively. It's a very crucial distinction as far any attempt to draw some sort of comparison between the (very different) cases of the Everton two (Kinsella and Wallace) and Barton is concerned.

Kinsella and Wallace played in a non-competitive under-age friendly game organised by the FAI. The FAI were able to get away with suffering nothing more serious than embarrassment on account of the cock-up because FIFA's eligibility regulations obviously don't apply at all to such fixtures, so proof of eligibility is not required. It's not a case of FIFA being careless, lax or lazy over this realm; it's simply the case that FIFA's regulations do not apply over these games, neither in practice nor in theory. FIFA do not administer these games and have no interest in regulating these games because they essentially have nothing to do with such fixtures. 

Therefore, the two Everton players (who apparently misled the FAI based on a misunderstanding over their Irish ancestry) didn't receive any clearance from FIFA; it wasn't necessary as they weren't playing in FIFA competition. The two would never have gotten anywhere near a competitive squad for FIFA competition, however. FIFA simply wouldn't have allowed it as the eligibility regulations strictly apply to official competition. The FAI presumably realised these two players' ineligibility when they decided to seek documentary proof of eligibility (beyond the players' original claims of eligibility because they possessed Irish roots) with the possible intention of having the two Evertonians available for competitive selection. For the sake of argument, if what you claim is true and FIFA don't apply regulatory rigour to under-age competition, then it wouldn't have mattered that the two Evertonians weren't actually eligible and the FAI could have simply continued selecting them for competitive games and gotten away with it.

Barton represented us competitively at under-age level. His clearance to play is evidence of his eligibility. Thus, the eligibility regulation concerned - article 7 - was applied to him; he passed the test, as proven by his repeated presence on the field. If he was ineligible, then the FAI would have been guilty of fielding an ineligible player in official competition on four separate occasions, but there has been absolutely no suggestion of this ever. To suggest the FAI were fielding an ineligible player and never pulled up on it is conspiracy theory stuff with no evidential basis whatsoever. To assume that this might be the case instead of accepting the only plausible scenario in reality - that Barton was indeed fully eligible to represent the FAI at all levels, because he did so competitively on four occasions without any issue - is just warped denialism.

Quote 2.  Barton started playing for ROI in the immediate aftermath of Kearns, which, as I said already , the FAI may not have been aware of this wrinkle in the rules.  That's when his caps came in a friendly and at the outset of the qualifiers.  He also got capped at the end of the qualifiers, but only after Ireland were already out unfortunately.

What are you suggesting? That the FAI may have consciously fielded an ineligible player (or a player over whose eligibility they had doubts) in official under-age competition because the team were already out of qualification reckoning for the European Under-21 Championships by the time the game came round. If that is indeed what you're intimating, that's just ludicrous. It seems like a bizarre twisting of the facts to try and fit them around your conspiracy narrative. Why on earth would the FAI ever attempt to take such a risk (if it would even have been practically possible anyway)?

What does the Kearns case have to do with Barton's eligibility? It's a red herring. Barton first played competitively for our under-21s on the 1st of September 2011. The Kearns judgment was published nearly a full year before that on the 27th of September 2010, so it's not really true to say Barton started playing for us in the "immediate aftermath" of the Kearns judgment. I'm not sure what the relevance of this is anyway.

Are you suggesting that the FAI might have learned from the Kearns judgment that Barton was not actually eligible to play for Ireland or something? I'm not sure why that would be so, but, for the sake of argument, if it were so, they had over 11 months to digest the judgment before Barton made his competitive under-age debut for Ireland; surely plenty of time for this hypothetical realisation to dawn upon them. 

Not that it matters anyway what the FAI's understanding might have been because eligibility for these competitions is ultimately governed by FIFA who apply the same eligibility regulations as apply to senior competition. Talking about Kearns and possible FAI ignorance of the rules are just red herrings because FIFA would have been making sure that the rules were being adhered to regardless.

You just seem to be obfuscating the matter for some reason. You appear to be intentionally ignoring or omitting the fact that it is not merely the FAI who self-monitor eligibility for official competition. FIFA regulate and monitor these games too. There is simply no way the FAI fielded an ineligible player on four occasions in official competition and got away with it. That simply doesn't happen.

Quote As regards Bruce, yes he was on the bench for competitive games.  They were in 2007.  That was more than three years prior to the Kearns decision where the distinction between "nationality at birth" and "acquisition of nationality" was highlighted as being so key to eligibility.

So what if those games were three years before Kearns? What does Kearns have to do with it? Are you suggesting FIFA weren't applying their own eligibility criteria to senior international football games until after the Kearns case?  

And where did the Kearns judgment highlight that this distinction was "key to eligibility" and what does that even mean anyway? Both birth nationality and acquired nationality are legitimate forms of eligibility so long as the additional relevant criteria in the regulations are satisfied. The CAS panel who oversaw the Kearns case adjudicated upon articles 5 and 6 (or what were then articles 15 and 16); not article 7 (or what was then article 17).

Quote It is odd that no player with this link has been included since or - as far as I know - approached.  And it would not seem to be for a lack of good players, as there are plenty who qualify through such a link who could have been capped at underage or senior level. 

It's not odd at all. It's hardly been a prolific "conveyor belt" for us over the years. Who are the "plenty" to whom you refer? You might get the odd player here or there qualifying for us via this route and actually being good enough. As for not knowing whether or not a player has been approached, that's hardly a surprise either as most approaches probably aren't reported as they're not particularly newsworthy. Perhaps some potential players with northern grandparentage were approached by the FAI and said they weren't interested because their northern heritage happened to be unionist rather than nationalist or republican; who knows?

Also, for what it's worth, John Delaney claimed back in 2011 that the FAI wait for northern-born players to make their interest known to the association rather than aggressively pursuing such players. I know this was certainly the case with Shane Duffy; Sean McCaffrey (former under-age manager) refused to get in touch with Duffy until Duffy made his intention to switch known to the FAI. The FAI may well employ a similar practice with Irish nationals who qualify through a northern grandparent.

Just another thing on the FIFA switch-of-association process, as it was suggested up-thread that Barton would not have had time to have a switch processed between his last game for the IFA and his first game for the FAI; it can take three months in some cases or it could take up to six months in some cases (as was the case with Grealish). 

In saying that, I cannot confirm whether or not Barton did undergo a formal switch as he hadn't represented NI competitively. I'm just saying it's something that cannot be ruled out (which you were trying to do up-thread) based on the known time-frame; he played for NI in a senior friendly against Morocco on the 17th of November, 2010, but played his first competitive game for the Ireland under-21s against Hungary on the 1st of September, 2011 (not the 15th of March, 2011, wherever you got that date from?), so, unless I'm mistaken, there'd have been nine and a half months there to allow FIFA to process any switch if necessary. (A formal switch isn't necessary to play in under-age friendly games as they are not administered by FIFA.)

I also realised since posting previous comments that a lot of my links to supporting information weren't working; I've since fixed them up so all should now be working.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 6:57pm
Marcus McGuane definitely is no longer eligible to play for us. He represented us competitively before requesting and undergoing a formal switch processed by FIFA. The completion of that process alone would have rendered him no longer eligible for us, as far as I'm aware, but I think he has also since represented England competitively at under-age level, which puts it beyond doubt.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Summary?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:27pm
Danny, nice thesis and God love you for the hours spent on it, but it wouldn't pass a vive voce.  

Of course it's a grey area.  Your whole argument hangs off of your assertion that only a purposive interpretation is ever applied to FIFA statutes, and a literal interpretation is not. Aside from the fact this critical point is entirely unsupported, it is plain it is also wrong.  In Kearns itself, a forensic literal approach was taken - even looking up the word "nationality" in various other linguistic iterations of the statute and using that to inform the interpretation applied.  

And of course, you can't say for certain how any tribunal would interprete FIFA statutes, so please don't pretend you can.      

The fact that a literal interpretation goes the other way means there is doubt.  As I said, I expect such doubt would be resolved in favour of the FAI for a wide range of reasons, but there is obviously a doubt nonetheless.  

Btw: I never said Barton is ineligible, I said it is a "grey area" - there is uncertainty because of the interplay of the text of the FIFA rules and Irish citizenship laws.   Not complicated really.  

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Summary?
well since the Good Friday Agreement...........
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

FAI looking into recruiting Scott Hogan of Rochdale
Hulk Hogan has better chance of getting a call up

Bump 

LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:55pm

Danny, nice thesis and God love you for the hours spent on it, but it wouldn't pass a vive voce.  

Of course it's a grey area.  Your whole argument hangs off of your assertion that only a purposive interpretation is ever applied to FIFA statutes, and a literal interpretation is not. Aside from the fact this critical point is entirely unsupported, it is plain it is also wrong.  In Kearns itself, a forensic literal approach was taken - even looking up the word "nationality" in various other linguistic iterations of the statute and using that to inform the interpretation applied.  

And of course, you can't say for certain how any tribunal would interprete FIFA statutes, so please don't pretend you can.      

The fact that a literal interpretation goes the other way means there is doubt.  As I said, I expect such doubt would be resolved in favour of the FAI for a wide range of reasons, but there is obviously a doubt nonetheless.  

Btw: I never said Barton is ineligible, I said it is a "grey area" - there is uncertainty because of the interplay of the text of the FIFA rules and Irish citizenship laws.   Not complicated really.  

Ironic that you would accuse a position of "hanging on an assumption", seeing as you haven't even offered an evidence-backed assumption that yours hangs on! It's entirely based on conspiracy and psuedo-logic, you're manipulating the facts to suit your story, rather than following the overall evidence to its most likely conclusion...
We're decent enough..
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Bump 

LOL

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Bump 

LOL

always first with the breAking news
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 9:10pm
f**king engpad wiseguy hey
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:50pm
Did The Hulk get a run with the U21's..........
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:29am

You can throw as many big words in as you like, that still doesn't mean you're not talking boll1x.

Danny has comprehensively out argued you there with numerous examples and actual evidence. You've responded with vague utterings about a grey area.

Give up and stop embarrassing yourself.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:25am
Danny Invincible could convince a judge in granting Stevie Wonder a driving licence.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Danny Invincible could convince a judge in granting Stevie Wonder a driving licence.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 452>
  Share Topic