FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 322323324325326 453>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 2:57pm
Danny, it's hardly conclusive that the FAI would say such players are eligible.  What do you expect them to say having picked them?  Admit that there is a grey area and so possibly incur a fine if that were resolved against them?  The are an "interested party" and it's unsurprising they would have such a view.  I don't know, but I'm not sure the IFA would agree it is that conclusive.  Also, the views of an academic in Switzerland, really??  

Look, I understand that people want to reach a certain result.  However there's doubt in the language of the various rules.  Therefore there is doubt in how they might be interpreted. Like most things in life, it's not 100% certain.  

I agree that the doubt would likely be resolved in favour of us, but that does not mean there is doubt nonetheless.  

I'd say at this stage that the arguments on the matter have been fairly exhausted. 
Sponsored Links

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:25pm
with all the new posts i thought we'd unearthed a gemExclamation
It's not me it's you:-)
SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
Eligibility rules and regulations are all good and well but the only two crucial factors are:

1) Do any of these guys, regardless of the nuts and bolts of eligibility, have a genuine desire play for us?
2) Is the recruitment system robust enough to find those who do want to play for us and can we actually get them capped at senior international level?

Recent evidence suggests that Number 1 is highly important (See Grealish) and Number 2 is critical (See Kelly, Hogan, Rice).

Arguing outside of these two factors is conjecture and only serves to drive people mad.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 8:04am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ffs what sort of sh*te is all that. Who is even reading that.
Quite a few people are reading it. As Danny says, dont read it if you have an issue with it. I for one am quite enjoying reading it for both the actual content itself and for Dannys schooling of one or two others.
Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:13am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Danny Invincible Danny Invincible wrote:

I'm just clarifying some facts and debunking some conspiracy theories, but those who don't wish to read it can simply scroll past. No-one's forcing anyone to read what I post. Meanwhile, those who do want to read can do so. What's the problem?
I've warned you already about using sense and logic on here!

LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Danny Invincible Danny Invincible wrote:

I'm just clarifying some facts and debunking some conspiracy theories, but those who don't wish to read it can simply scroll past. No-one's forcing anyone to read what I post. Meanwhile, those who do want to read can do so. What's the problem?
I've warned you already about using sense and logic on here!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:25pm
getting on my tit ends..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:19pm
Ffs what sort of sh*te is all that. Who is even reading that.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Of course it's a grey area.

Repeating that doesn't make it true.

Quote Your whole argument hangs off of your assertion that only a purposive interpretation is ever applied to FIFA statutes, and a literal interpretation is not.

Not at all. Why would you assume that? Your replies rely very heavily on putting words in my mouth instead of actually answering any of the questions I've posed to you about the (im)plausibility of your theories. Why is that?

To clarify, seeing as you've misrepresented my position once again, I've simply stated that FIFA apply (what I characterise or define as) a purposive approach to article 7(c) in the context of persons born outside Ireland who are entitled to Irish citizenship on account of a northern-born grandparent. In order to gauge true meaning, FIFA's legal committee can interpret each of their regulations however they wish, by using a discrete interpretative approach or by employing multiple complementary interpretative approaches simultaneously if they feel it necessary (unless some other party objects and raises the matter with CAS who eventually support the contention of the appealing party after a review and judgment). Just because FIFA might interpret one article or regulation in a certain way in the context of a particular set of circumstances, it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how they'll interpret and enforce other articles or regulations that might have different contexts and histories or that may deal with other situations and circumstances.

Quote In Kearns itself, a forensic literal approach was taken - even looking up the word "nationality" in various other linguistic iterations of the statute and using that to inform the interpretation applied.

The forensics in the Kearns case were actually performed by CAS - not FIFA - in order to test the IFA's contention over an interpretation of FIFA's rules. FIFA didn't state that they'd ever limit themselves to a literal approach (nor did CAS, for that matter). Anyway, why the 2010 approach of CAS in Kearns (which scrutinised the application of what are now articles 5 and 6 in respect of the context of northern-born Irish nationals playing for Ireland) should be of relevance to or have bearing over how FIFA presently approach article 7(c) of their regulations in the context of players born outside of Ireland who qualify for Irish nationality on account of a northern grandparent, I don't know. Maybe you can elaborate as to why you think there's some necessary link there?... 

Besides, you're categorically incorrect to imply that CAS adopted only a literal approach in Kearns. It's best to actually read the entire judgment and inform yourself of the facts and as to how CAS operates before making false and misleading suggestions such as the above. CAS do not limit themselves to just a literal textual reading when it comes to interpreting a regulation, nor did they limit themselves to such in Kearns. At paragraph 46 of the Kearns case, CAS stated the following in outlining the court's interpretative approach: 

"The interpretation of the statutes and rules of a sport association has to be rather objective and always to start with the wording of the rule, which falls to be interpreted. The adjudicating body -in this instance the Panel- will have to consider the meaning of the rule, looking at the language used, and the appropriate grammar and syntax. In its search, the adjudicating body will have further to identify the intentions (objectively construed) of the association which drafted the rule, and such body may also take account of any relevant historical background which illuminates its derivation, as well as the entirely regulatory context in which the particular rule is located."

So, clearly, CAS takes into account much more than just the bare text of a rule in question in order to derive its meaning. The court then spent a considerable number of paragraphs - from paragraph 49 onward and through to paragraph 65 - taking an historical approach to the interpretation of the regulations under question (in order to try and reveal the intent of the legislator) and, at paragraph 76, went on to state:

"The fact that Article 16 applies only to players with “shared nationality” is also confirmed by its wording as well as by the systematic interpretation."

So, you can see that, as well as appealing to an historical interpretation, the panel also looked at the "wording" along with a "systematic interpretation" in terms of how they judged the meaning of what was then article 16. "Systematic interpretation" is another term for a contextual interpretation that looks beyond the specific text in question for clues as to how the regulation should be read and understood. Often, it takes into account its relationship with other words or sections in the text's document.

Like CAS, FIFA can use various interpretative approaches and methods in the application and enforcement of their statutes and regulations. There's no necessity to just limit themselves to one method of interpretation at all times and especially not if it would result in unintended or unforeseen consequences due to oversight or the arising of a particular set of circumstances that hadn't been envisaged by the lawmakers at the time of legislating.

Quote And of course, you can't say for certain how any tribunal would interprete FIFA statutes, so please don't pretend you can.

I never claimed to know for certain how a CAS panel might interpret it. Where did you get that idea? In fact, I stated the very opposite to what you've claimed I said. I stated: "I have no idea for certain how they might judge it."

Quote The fact that a literal interpretation goes the other way means there is doubt.  As I said, I expect such doubt would be resolved in favour of the FAI for a wide range of reasons, but there is obviously a doubt nonetheless.

As far as FIFA are concerned, there is no doubt; there is no need for resolution. FIFA are the governing body under whose regulatory framework the FAI operate. FIFA are interpreting their own regulations as they were intended to function and are quite content with that. If they weren't content with them, they'd amend them or apply them differently. Obviously, we can't know for certain how an external body such as CAS might view matters - chances are they'd follow FIFA's suit - but their potential interpretation is irrelevant and it will remain so until a time (if ever) that the IFA decides to challenge FIFA's approach. 

To apply your logic in the context of the whole rule-book; it would mean that there is a "grey area" over the entire rule-book simply because we may not be able to know with one hundred per cent certainty how CAS might interpret all regulations or whether the court's interpretations may differ from FIFA's, simply due to the fact that CAS have not delivered a verdict on the entire list of regulations yet. This is nonsensical. We can confidently follow FIFA's lead here in order to understand the nature of the regulation in question, seeing as they are the governing body under whose regulatory framework our international team plays. There is absolutely no reason to invoke or appeal to - for conjectural guiding authority - some hypothetical lead that a court of arbitration may (or may not even) recommend if ever someone was to decide to challenge a particular regulation down the line.

I've trawled back through some past emails I sent and received in relation to eligibility matters. The following paragraph was part of an email that I sent to Yann Hafner (of the Université de Neuchâtel) - an expert in the field of international sporting eligibility matters who has a direct line to the head of FIFA's Players' Status Committee - on the 25th of February, 2015, where I mentioned Alex Bruce (amongst a set of other queries I had for him):

"[T]here are cases of England-born players such as Alex Bruce (and possibly Adam Barton) who have represented the Republic of Ireland on the basis of having a grandparent born in Northern Ireland. Having a grandparent born in Northern Ireland indeed legally entitles such players to Irish nationality through birth registration (effective from the date of registration), so my question is, how exactly do you think such players might qualify to play for the Republic of Ireland considering their Irish nationality is acquired (not effective from birth). Thus, they would surely need to further satisfy article 7. Obviously, they do not satisfy any of the article 7 criteria as they were not born in Ireland, were not born to parents born in Ireland, the grandparent through whom they have seemingly qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland was actually born in Northern Ireland, the territory of the IFA, and they never resided continuously in Ireland for any period of time. Can you possibly shed any further light on how these players might qualify to play for the Republic of Ireland?"

(I had used the words "possibly Adam Barton" in the email as I wasn't certain of the facts of Barton's case at the time and whether or not it just was a northern-born grandparent through whom he qualified, but it has since been confirmed that it was through a northern-born grandparent that he qualified, to the best of my knowledge.)

Anyway, Yann replied to me on the same date with the following:

"I am aware of the Good Friday Agreement and its legal implications. I am assuming (and only assuming) that FIFA would consider a grandparent born in Northern Ireland sufficient enough under the condition of article 7(c) due to the GFA. This approach would be consistent with the fact that people born in Northern Ireland can claim both nationalities by law."

He mentioned the GFA there as I'd given him some background info about the political situation in Ireland in my email to him where I mentioned Bruce and, although he was aware of it, he did not seem to be aware of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, the details of which I went on to inform him in my follow-up. Not that that was particularly important. The important bit is that he confirmed the likelihood of FIFA taking an interpretative approach to article 7(c) that would render players such as Bruce and Barton eligible to play for the FAI. He was clearly of the view - and his opinion carries considerable weight - that FIFA will not limit themselves to the strictly literal when applying their laws.

On the same day, I had also decided to email the FAI - via info@fai.ie - to enquire about the eligibility of players such as Bruce (as well as Noe Baba, although Baba isn't relevant to our discussion). I posed the following:

"I do not automatically expect such information to be made public as it might well be a private matter for the player concerned, but the eligibility of Cameroon-born Noe Baba to play for the Republic of Ireland has interested me particularly. If my understanding is correct, Baba acquired his Irish nationality newly, considering he was born Cameroonian, and so would ordinarily be subject to the satisfaction of the criteria for eligibility as outlined in article 7 of FIFA's Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes. However, Baba never satisfied any of those criteria before representing Ireland; he was not born in Ireland, his parents were not born in Ireland, his grandparents were not born in Ireland, nor did he reside in Ireland for five years continuously after the age of 18. Would I be correct in assuming that he has been the recipient of an exemption from the Players' Status Committee to play for Ireland? If it is possible for you to reveal this information, can you shed any light as to the criteria or factors considered crucial to the case by the Committee?

I know Alex Bruce has since declared for Northern Ireland, but his eligibility to play for the Republic of Ireland also fascinated me. He was born in England but qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland as a result of acquiring Irish nationality through a grandparent from Northern Ireland. As his Irish nationality was newly acquired rather than effective from birth, he would have been subject to the criteria of article 7 also, if my understanding is correct. However, the relevant criterion outlines that the player's grandparent must have been born in the territory of the relevant association. Northern Ireland is surely the territory of the IFA, or do FIFA construe Northern Ireland to be the territory of the FAI also for the purposes of player eligibility? Or perhaps Bruce was also granted an exemption by the Players' Status Committee? 

If you could shed any further lights on these questions/matters for me or direct me towards someone who could, it would be very much appreciated."

I received an email back from the FAI's Disciplinary Control Unit on the 26th of February, 2015 to "[t]hank [me] for [my] email which was passed to [them] by the FAI Front of House Administration" and to inform me that they would "revert in due course in relation to [my] queries". Indeed, they finally got back to me again on the 5th of March, 2015. Although it wasn't hugely informative, they did state the following, which is instructive:

"Thank you for your email of the 25th February last.

As you quite rightly point out in your email the information you have requested is a private matter for the player concerned and not information that we would be in a position to divulge. 

However, I would confirm that both players are/were fully eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland."

This was five years after the Kearns judgment, which you inexplicably seemed to be suggesting was the precursor to or cause of some supposed subsequent realisation on the FAI's part that the likes of Bruce and Barton may not actually be eligible. If the FAI were doubtful of the eligibility of such players before this point (February of 2015) - since it has been suggested up-thread that the reason why no player with circumstances similar to those of Bruce or Barton has played for Ireland at any level since 2011 (although we don't even know for certain if this is definitely the case) might be because of some realisation by the FAI around 2011 of previous error on their part - why did their Disciplinary Control Unit inform me (in 2015) that Bruce was definitely eligible to play for us? Were they lying to me?

If you would like for me to forward you the relevant emails to you as proof, I'm happy to do so.

Also, if anyone is interested in how Noe Baba actually qualifies to play for us, there's further info on that and how the eligibility regulations are to be interpreted in general here (and in the four subsequent posts) on Foot.ie: http://foot.ie/threads/147164-Eligibility-Rules-Okay?p=1805271&viewfull=1#post1805271

Quote Btw: I never said Barton is ineligible, I said it is a "grey area" - there is uncertainty because of the interplay of the text of the FIFA rules and Irish citizenship laws.   Not complicated really.

Whether you're saying he's ineligible or whether you're saying there's a grey area, nether are true. He was eligible and there is no grey area.

Read the text of the FIFA statutes, the Kearns decision and Irish citizenship law.  Everything I have said is based on those texts.  That's all the "actual evidence" you need.

You've still not explained what the Kearns case has to do with the likes of Bruce and Barton. Care to do so?

Quote As against that, it is obvious the likes of yourself and O'Shea haven't bothered to read any of it before reaching a view and spouting abuse.  Wacko

You've been distorting and misrepresenting the Kearns judgment yourself, so I'm not sure you're in any position to be getting on a high horse to lecture others in relation to allegedly not having read the thing.

Quote Even Danny accepts that a literal interpretation of the statutes/regs results in such players being ineligible.  He just asserts that a different approach to interpretation would be used.  I don't necessarily disagree with the likelihood of that, but the fact that a different result arises with a literal interpretation (often the first canon of interpretation used in interpreting any rule or law), plainly means there is doubt.

In my opinion, I suggested that a strict literal interpretation could prove problematic for the FAI, but so what? It's not the case that a different approach to interpretation "would" be used. A different approach to interpretation (from a solely and strictly literal approach) is used; one that encompasses the intent and purpose of the regulation when it comes to the particular situation we've been discussing.

As regards "insurmountable volumes of evidence", you've in fact only mentioned ONE single player, six years ago, who played in an underage international.  Come on.  

Adam Barton played in four competitive under-age internationals. Alex Bruce played in at least one competitive under-age international and was a member of the senior match-day squad for two competitive games.

Edited by Danny Invincible - 01 Oct 2017 at 5:41pm
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Jayson Molumby on the bench for Brighton in the Emirates today.

He’s from Waterford, so eligible😐
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:15pm
Jayson Molumby on the bench for Brighton in the Emirates today.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:52pm
Indeed.  And because it's one of many approaches, it produces one of a number of results.  Hence, the position is not certain.  

As regards "insurmountable volumes of evidence", you've in fact only mentioned ONE single player, six years ago, who played in an underage international.  Come on.  
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:09pm
So we're embarrassing ourselves by drawing conclusions from the insurmountable volumes of evidence that support our viewpoint?

We're all well aware of the statutes, but as every person who has even a passing interest in legal interpretation knows, the "literal interpretation" is only one of many approaches. In fact it's an approach that has been of declining significance for many decades, given the acceptance that it frequently leads to absurd judgements; a bit like the imaginary "grey area" you're so poorly trying to convince us of....
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Danny, nice thesis and God love you for the hours spent on it, but it wouldn't pass a vive voce.  

Of course it's a grey area.  Your whole argument hangs off of your assertion that only a purposive interpretation is ever applied to FIFA statutes, and a literal interpretation is not. Aside from the fact this critical point is entirely unsupported, it is plain it is also wrong.  In Kearns itself, a forensic literal approach was taken - even looking up the word "nationality" in various other linguistic iterations of the statute and using that to inform the interpretation applied.  

And of course, you can't say for certain how any tribunal would interprete FIFA statutes, so please don't pretend you can.      

The fact that a literal interpretation goes the other way means there is doubt.  As I said, I expect such doubt would be resolved in favour of the FAI for a wide range of reasons, but there is obviously a doubt nonetheless.  

Btw: I never said Barton is ineligible, I said it is a "grey area" - there is uncertainty because of the interplay of the text of the FIFA rules and Irish citizenship laws.   Not complicated really.  

You can throw as many big words in as you like, that still doesn't mean you're not talking boll1x.

Danny has comprehensively out argued you there with numerous examples and actual evidence. You've responded with vague utterings about a grey area.

Give up and stop embarrassing yourself.

There's nothing embarrassing for anyone, but yourself and O'Shea.  LOL

Read the text of the FIFA statutes, the Kearns decision and Irish citizenship law.  Everything I have said is based on those texts.  That's all the "actual evidence" you need.  As against that, it is obvious the likes of yourself and O'Shea haven't bothered to read any of it before reaching a view and spouting abuse.  Wacko

Even Danny accepts that a literal interpretation of the statutes/regs results in such players being ineligible.  He just asserts that a different approach to interpretation would be used.  I don't necessarily disagree with the likelihood of that, but the fact that a different result arises with a literal interpretation (often the first canon of interpretation used in interpreting any rule or law), plainly means there is doubt.  
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Danny Invincible could convince a judge in granting Stevie Wonder a driving licence.

LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:25am
Danny Invincible could convince a judge in granting Stevie Wonder a driving licence.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:29am

Danny, nice thesis and God love you for the hours spent on it, but it wouldn't pass a vive voce.  

Of course it's a grey area.  Your whole argument hangs off of your assertion that only a purposive interpretation is ever applied to FIFA statutes, and a literal interpretation is not. Aside from the fact this critical point is entirely unsupported, it is plain it is also wrong.  In Kearns itself, a forensic literal approach was taken - even looking up the word "nationality" in various other linguistic iterations of the statute and using that to inform the interpretation applied.  

And of course, you can't say for certain how any tribunal would interprete FIFA statutes, so please don't pretend you can.      

The fact that a literal interpretation goes the other way means there is doubt.  As I said, I expect such doubt would be resolved in favour of the FAI for a wide range of reasons, but there is obviously a doubt nonetheless.  

Btw: I never said Barton is ineligible, I said it is a "grey area" - there is uncertainty because of the interplay of the text of the FIFA rules and Irish citizenship laws.   Not complicated really.  

You can throw as many big words in as you like, that still doesn't mean you're not talking boll1x.

Danny has comprehensively out argued you there with numerous examples and actual evidence. You've responded with vague utterings about a grey area.

Give up and stop embarrassing yourself.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 322323324325326 453>
  Share Topic