You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football/Politics/Reality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

The supporters of these clubs know what is happening and how they are being used but it's very hard to say no to the money and give up on the club you support because of who the owner is. 
I've seen it starting at Newcastle over the last six months and it's so easy to get swept up in it. Better players being bought, stadium being cleaned up, the living wage introduced for all staff, funding for the women's team etc. 
The Saudi owner is a awful man with a horrific human rights record but Newcastle fans are only looking at what he's doing for the club and how much better than Mike Ashley he has behaved and treated the club. It's the premier league and fa that shouldn't allow owners like this buy clubs.

Not with fans of all clubs it isn't. 
What do you propose Newcastle fans do? Give up supporting the club? Demonstrations against the owners? 
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:40pm

The supporters of these clubs know what is happening and how they are being used but it's very hard to say no to the money and give up on the club you support because of who the owner is. 
I've seen it starting at Newcastle over the last six months and it's so easy to get swept up in it. Better players being bought, stadium being cleaned up, the living wage introduced for all staff, funding for the women's team etc. 
The Saudi owner is a awful man with a horrific human rights record but Newcastle fans are only looking at what he's doing for the club and how much better than Mike Ashley he has behaved and treated the club. It's the premier league and fa that shouldn't allow owners like this buy clubs.

What do you propose Newcastle fans do? Give up supporting the club? Demonstrations against the owners? 
Yes, but fans dont care a jot about anything except their own gratification. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm

Yes, take a stand, have morals and show them. I know Ashley was a terrible owner but Newcastle fans falling over themselves with these new owners would make you sick. To give an example, Newcastle have an LGBT fan group as many clubs now do. They've taken steps to distance themselves from the other groups (Pride in Football Network) who have been critical of the treatment of LGBT people in the middle East.

And for those saying that fan protests will make no difference, I'll give two examples: Both relate to Liverpool. I'm sure there are other examples elsewhere and I'm not referencing these to make out that Liverpool fans should be put on a pedestal for this, it's just I know more about these:

- It was the efforts of Liverpool fans primarily that drove Hicks and Gillett out of the club.Without the fans pressure, the banks would not have pulled the plug in the way that they did.
- Before taking over Newcastle, Amanda Staveley had tried to buy Liverpool for a consortium in Dubai involving the Royal Family there. She approached Spirit of Shankley to try and get them on board. They told her where to go. 

Edited by Borussia - 03 Mar 2022 at 8:58pm
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:49am
Liverpool fans bent over just like most other set of fans did when the thoughts of a bit of silverware was coming their way,

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Liverpool fans bent over just like most other set of fans did when the thoughts of a bit of silverware was coming their way,

Not sure what your point is by posting two pictures of individuals - Doesn't invalidate anything I have mentioned above which has been documented and happened. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:43am
Newcastle fans have a recent history of protest and against previous owners. Sure we all remember the footage of Keegan and the fans discussing the sale of Andy Cole in 1995. Leaning into modern football by throwing hands up in the air and saying it’s a commercial decision, and platitudes about how it might actually help the oppressed in the long run sounds totally disingenuous.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:52am
China aren't showing EPL this weekend due to planned shows of support for Ukraine at the games
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

China aren't showing EPL this weekend due to planned shows of support for Ukraine at the games

They should stop pumping millions of pounds into the Premier League, then we'll quickly see how pious the EPL is.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

This type of thing would not be unusual in China. 
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Newcastle fans have a recent history of protest and against previous owners. Sure we all remember the footage of Keegan and the fans discussing the sale of Andy Cole in 1995. Leaning into modern football by throwing hands up in the air and saying it’s a commercial decision, and platitudes about how it might actually help the oppressed in the long run sounds totally disingenuous.
Newcastle fans spent the last 10 years protesting about how Ashley was running the club and it didn't work, he only sold when he needed the money. They have a tradition of protest and demonstrations but only ever football related.
I'm not trying to defend the Saudi owners, I'm looking for your ideas of what the fans should do. If the Saudis bought your club, what would you do? 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:19pm

Newcastle fans spent the last 10 years protesting about how Ashley was running the club and it didn't work, he only sold when he needed the money. They have a tradition of protest and demonstrations but only ever football related.
I'm not trying to defend the Saudi owners, I'm looking for your ideas of what the fans should do. If the Saudis bought your club, what would you do? 
I can only speak from my experiences as a match going Liverpool fan but I suspect that had the Saudis tried to buy Liverpool my guess is that the level of protest would have been enough to convince them to abandon the idea. 

Edited by Borussia - 04 Mar 2022 at 12:20pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:52pm

What I’m looking for to be honest is for them not to supinely throw their hands up in the air, say “it’s out of our hands” and let it ride.

I’m unsure what you mean by demonstrations only being “football related” as club ownership is inherently football related.

If I was in their shoes I would stop giving them my money, and in discussions like this I wouldn’t be fatalistic about it and try to split hairs between the football and the political when there is a clear link between the two.
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 1:53pm

What I’m looking for to be honest is for them not to supinely throw their hands up in the air, say “it’s out of our hands” and let it ride.

I’m unsure what you mean by demonstrations only being “football related” as club ownership is inherently football related.

If I was in their shoes I would stop giving them my money, and in discussions like this I wouldn’t be fatalistic about it and try to split hairs between the football and the political when there is a clear link between the two.
Football related, the Mike Ashley protests were always to do with how he ran the club, never how he treated his staff or the condition of his sweatshops in Asia. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 2:09pm
Fair enough. But I would argue that Newcastle fans were certainly not shy about criticising him for it. Sure they weren’t outside SD outlets with placards, but it was “another one for the file” so to speak. I’d argue that if I suggested that Newcastle fans were quite on the subject, they would vehemently disagree.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 3:20pm

Stop spending my money on them. Couldn't justify supporting such sportwashing. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:14pm
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Stop spending my money on them. Couldn't justify supporting such sportwashing. 

Absolutely. This is a given, surely. If any sportswashing entity bought my club I would stop attending matches, stop buying tickets and stop watching them on TV. It's only f**king football, for God's sake.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 5:20pm

I can only speak from my experiences as a match going Liverpool fan but I suspect that had the Saudis tried to buy Liverpool my guess is that the level of protest would have been enough to convince them to abandon the idea. 

How long did it take for the 'Thanks but no yanks' signs to disappear when FSG took over?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic