You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you pay the tv licence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Poll Question: Do you cough up?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [58.82%]
35 [41.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:30am
For 160, its not bad value in fairness.  But still a balls having to pay it on top of all the other charges we have these days.  If your renting, you can get away without paying the charge relatively easily, when you move, different names etc.  If you own a gaff, not so easy - eventually will have to pay up.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

I pay it, to be honest I think the UK one is decent value considering you get something like 8 BBC TV channels, 6/7 national radio stations and dozens of regional radio stations plus the website, iPlayer etc, all with no advertising.
But you have to put up with Shearer and Hansen rather than Dunphy and Giles.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:39am
The licence guy came to the house of the local comic drunk at home.
"Do you have your tv licence, sir?"
"I don't have a tv"
"I can see you have an aerial sir"
"I have a cow in the garden, it doesn't mean I have milk in the fridge!. Door shut.LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:41am
Yeah you can pay it by direct debit. It works out as Q man says just over 13 euro a month.  

To be honest I kind of see public service broadcasting as like a bus not all stops are for me but the ones are I find very useful.  People think it only pays for the stars big wages but they actually are financed by the revenue that is brought in from advertising due to their shows.  

The licence fee pays for so much more like community radio stations, documentaries funded by the BAI, the various radio stations, (lurkers and trapped's favourite Lyric FM) 

Shows from our point of view like MNS do not wash their own face so they need the licence fee to pay for them.  In my view 13 euro a month is good value and if I had to cut expenses my sky etc would go long before my RTE would.  In my view having our own channels in this country is one of the aspects of being a nation state. If we entirely rely on British media for informing our view of the world we may as well take down the flags and start supporting English football teams (oh wait a minute ? :) ) 

Edited by Baldrick - 05 Jun 2013 at 10:42am
AKA pedantic kunt
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

I pay it, to be honest I think the UK one is decent value considering you get something like 8 BBC TV channels, 6/7 national radio stations and dozens of regional radio stations plus the website, iPlayer etc, all with no advertising.
But you have to put up with Shearer and Hansen rather than Dunphy and Giles.
That's what the mute button is for Thumbs Up
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 12:04pm
Got stung for the €160 last week. Always wait for the last letter to come before paying it. Split between 3 of us so not that bad.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:32pm
Yeah I got caught a couple of months ago after over a year without one. The c**ts sent out the letter and a couple of days later they're at the door. That's the second time that's happened in the last few years! 
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

To be honest I kind of see public service broadcasting as like a bus not all stops are for me but the ones are I find very useful.  People think it only pays for the stars big wages but they actually are financed by the revenue that is brought in from advertising due to their shows.  

Of course it pays for the big stars wages! The likes of Tubridy, Kenny, Finucane etc would be replaced in a flash by the next rising star. (Gerry Ryan anyone?) RTE should learn from the likes of SKY, who move them on as soon as they start looking for bigger loot. The football panel wages on RTE are triple TV3's.
Because the big stars are on big wages this permeates all the way down, so the entire operation is grossly overpaid. I know people in there on 70k doing ordinary jobs.
There's gimps in RTE producing workmanlike radio shows on 200k that would earn 50k elsewhere.

It gets on my wick bigtime, that these f**kers are on this kind of loot off the back of our licence fees. Incidently, I do think it's a worthwhile exercise, but salaries should be capped and benchmarked to the real world of radio and TV.

I pay for two licences, which is an even bigger waste of my hard earned dosh.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:47pm
Gerry Ryan's death has proved he was worth every penny.  Have you seen the drop in figures since he died and the loss in revenue for that show.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:53pm
It took Ryan decades to build up that audience! I remember when he started people used to crack jokes about how bad his show was. 
RTE had such a captive audience for years, it was painful and comical how much they were paying their stars who have nowhere else to go. Maybe, just maybe, the odd one or two might hit it big in Britain, but the vast vast majority are ten a penny jocks that could easily be replaced.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:02pm
Pay it cos I have to but RTE's (sport apart, the odd Prime Time Investigates and Love/Hate) continuing dirge such as The Late Late, Fairly sh*tty, Saturday Night Show with O'Connor or Miriam, those Godawful Lottery shows of a Saturday (entertainment my scrotum), and the recent Comedy Award Show (watched two episodes, laughed probaby twice, utter pigjizz) makes you feel very short-changed for your 160 lids.  And they roll out the same fookin inbred mates on their respective shows and all, fookin garbage.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:07pm
But FW there are plenty of people who will say I only watch it for Winning Streak Fair City and the Saturday night show and the likes of MNS love hate,  Prime Time investigates and the Sports show are a waste. 

There are others who will watch RTE for Rep of Telly and Tallafornia or whatever stuff like that.  

That is the nature of these things we dip in for the stuff we like and think the rest of it is nonsense.  Hence why I think its like a bus rather than a taxi.  It caters for you, but not you specifically.  

Also people always concentrate on the TV shows they do not like. What about the Documentary on One which is fantastic.  John Creedons show is excellent,  The RTE Orchestra is fantastic. John Kelly's show is brilliant. Not to mention loads of radio and TV Documentaries that are mad for non RTE bodies across the country that get BAI funding.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:11pm
Jaysus Balders, are you omnipresent or are you awake 24/7 to see the other stuff?? LOL

Anyone who gets value out of those Lottery Shows (apart from those who win cash), Fair City or the other sh*te I mentioned needs help.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:13pm

The RTE Orchestra is fantastic. 

How many people get to enjoy them? This is another savage waste of licence fee payers dosh.

If the nobs over in Earlsfort Terrace want a high falootin' orchestra, let them feckin' pay proper admission fees for the privilege.

Jesus, Baldie, you do talk some awful pony by times, 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

How many people get to enjoy them? This is another savage waste of licence fee payers dosh.

If the nobs over in Earlsfort Terrace want a high falootin' orchestra, let them feckin' pay proper admission fees for the privilege.

I will love it, love it if Greengooner's son manages to get a place in the RTE Orchestra in a few years cos he has the ability!  Me and Gooner will gladly bring you along Stoked but you're paying. LOL 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:40pm

This is the very definition of public service broadcasting.  Funding stuff that the market will not support.  The market supports things like Friends etc.  Now I am sure we do not want to live in a world of Friends and Friends repeats.  Niche programmes and events needed to be funded to keep them alive.  MNS falls into that category but because we are on a football site people won't see that. I am sure on the ybig equivalent of orchestra Ireland are probably giving out about MNS being funded and scrotes in Tallaght and Phibsboro being funded and drawing the dole etc.  Both comments are equally as ignorant. Many people are interested in classical music sure isnt there a Coolock Classical Musical Society.  

The likes of the BBC and RTE exist to administrate the non commercial sector and also deal in commercial shows which is why you have Graham Norton and Rep of telly and others which add very little cultural value to the nation but are commercially successful.  

By the way I am not say I watch or like all of these shows but RTE is not designed for me it is an attempt to have a station that in some ways deals for everybody in some little way and not at the same time.   

In relation to Fair City there is some people who go to the Ireland trips who sky plus it and watch it when they return.  They will not be named here but they do.  So should the station only cater for FW and Stoked up. If YBIG was to believed Sinn Fein would have an overall majority in this country. That shows how much this site is not reflective of the general view of Irish people and I include myself in that.  

Also to add the fee also funds shows on community radio stations which deal with drug addiction emmigrant issues, legal advice for those who cannot afford it and not to mention TG4 and other Irish language shows across the board.  The market would not support these either.  I do not think your idea of the market being the ruler of our cultural output is the right approach for a modern European documentary and I respectfully disagree with you on this.  

Stoked up I respect your opinion.  I wish you would respect mine please.   Wink

Edited by Baldrick - 05 Jun 2013 at 4:51pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:42pm
BaldieHug
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:42pm

This is the very definition of public service broadcasting.  Funding stuff that the market will not support.  The market supports things like Friends etc.  Now I am sure we do not want to live in a world of Friends and Friends repeats.  Niche programmes and events needed to be funded to keep them alive.  MNS falls into that category but because we are on a football site people won't see that. I am sure on the ybig equivalent of orchestra Ireland are probably giving out about MSN being funded and scrotes in Tallaght and Phibsbrough being funded and drawing the dole etc.  Both comments are equally as ignorant. Many people are interested in classical music sure isnt there a Coolock Classical Musical Society.  

The likes of the BBC and RTE exist to administrate the non commercial sector and also deal in commercial shows which is why you have Graham Norton and Rep of telly and others which add very little cultural value to the nation but are commercially successful.  

By the way I am not say I watch or like all of these shows but RTE is not designed for me it is an attempt to have a station that in some ways deals for everybody in some little way and not at the same time.   

Stoked up I respect your opinion.  I wish you would respect mine please.   Wink

www.youjollyoldfellowsinthebrasssection.ie
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic