You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bottle deposit scheme i

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

I'll gladly play right wing if yis are stuck lads 

Not paying subs though.
To the right, to the right, 
Everyone's going to the right to the right.
Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:01pm
We need to get Pre Madonna back on YBIG. He'd sort out the developing rat licker group on YBIG 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

We need to get Pre Madonna back on YBIG. He'd sort out the developing rat licker group on YBIG 
Is he a big fan of Russia, Iran, China, North Korea, HAMAS etc?
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 11:40am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 12:06pm
Successfully used the scheme at the weekend. Few thoughts

If it was set up in the same way the glass bottles are this would be a more successful model. Accessible in multiple locations and ease of access rather than trapsing through the shops like a hobo. 
I understand there are challenges on this i.e. the receipt received would need to be universally used, the bins would fill quickly (but make them big enough to take massive volumes) or set them up in bring centres that are dotted around Dublin.

The cans thing. First time returning cans. I get they are cycling through old to new packaging so that will sort itself out eventually but i drink a fair amount of cans at the weekend (don't like drinking from a bottle myself - something about straight from the can especially if 330ml), storing these will be a disaster in the summer with flies everywhere and trying to ensure they don't get dented or crushed etc. especially as the can intake shoots up with the longer nights. 

Awaits Balf.airy reply. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 12:16pm
I had a few weeks build up there of cans and plastic bottles. Around 40 plastic bottles and 20 cans. Had only just started and some woman started to queue behind me and then some man behind her (it wasn't a duel machine where two people can go at once). 

Some of them were not scanning first time (or at all) so it took me about 5 minutes altogether to get through it. Could hear the two of them talking "this chap will be here awhile". It's a mixture of frustration, embarrassing and panicking all rolled into one trying to take care of the business with the machine. 

It returned me around 7 euro in the end. Am thinking it's not really worth all the hassle at this point. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 20 Mar 2024 at 12:24pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 12:22pm
Trying to build up the courage to use mine for the first time. Will probably wait until the left over cans from Paddy's weekend are drank but that could be a while.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 1:44pm
Used it over the weekend and it was flawless. Also saves a lot of room in my green bin. 

Still completely disagree with the concept as I would have recycled them in said green bin otherwise. The extra space in that is the only plus as it's always full
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Used it over the weekend and it was flawless. Also saves a lot of room in my green bin. 

Still completely disagree with the concept as I would have recycled them in said green bin otherwise. The extra space in that is the only plus as it's always full

Thats the thing for me too. The people that are going to use this system are the people that were already recycling. They reckon about two thirds of people recycle their was so this is a move to get the people who dont recycle and incentive to start. I wait to be convinced but I think the people that didnt recycle wont care much and continue as they were. Which means this scheme will fall to those who were recycling except they have been given added expense and inconvenience for someting they already were doing.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:38pm

I would crush all the cans and squish up the plastic bottles before putting them in the green bin.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:44pm

Did notice less pressure on the green bin alright. I usually have to get into the green bin and stamp it down before the end of the 2 week cycle. Didn't need to do the last time. So it's one good thing ha
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Thats the thing for me too. The people that are going to use this system are the people that were already recycling. They reckon about two thirds of people recycle their was so this is a move to get the people who dont recycle and incentive to start. I wait to be convinced but I think the people that didnt recycle wont care much and continue as they were. Which means this scheme will fall to those who were recycling except they have been given added expense and inconvenience for someting they already were doing.

Yep. Sure its arguable that the majority of what wasn't being recycled was smaller 500ml or less bottles and cans sold in newsagents that people are drinking on the go and throwing into bins or on the ground when they're done. That wont change at all, If im out and about I wont be bringing bottles home and I wouldn't be f**ked recycling them a measly 15c to use in a place I wouldn't normally shop.

I still see all the lads from the local schools and colleges f**king them into the bins or bushes every day.

Theyd have been better off investing in more public bins, theres f**k all as there is and they're often overflowing for weeks from not being collected regularly. Or even better, those types of bins they have in shopping centres were they separate paper, plastic and general waste.

I can see this thing going the way of the E Voting machines.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would crush all the cans and squish up the plastic bottles before putting them in the green bin.

Me too - but we go through a load of 2L 7up free bottles in the gaf and even when squashed down take up loads of room. You're talking about 6 x 2l a week LOL Didn't realise how much we went through untii I left them aside for this LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Yep. Sure its arguable that the majority of what wasn't being recycled was smaller 500ml or less bottles and cans sold in newsagents that people are drinking on the go and throwing into bins or on the ground when they're done. That wont change at all, If im out and about I wont be bringing bottles home and I wouldn't be f**ked recycling them a measly 15c to use in a place I wouldn't normally shop.

I still see all the lads from the local schools and colleges f**king them into the bins or bushes every day.

Theyd have been better off investing in more public bins, theres f**k all as there is and they're often overflowing for weeks from not being collected regularly. Or even better, those types of bins they have in shopping centres were they separate paper, plastic and general waste.

I can see this thing going the way of the E Voting machines.

100%. I'm only recycling what I always reclycled. If i'm out and about and buy a bottle of coke or whatever I'm not gonna bring it home to recycle.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm
Used it at the weekend, not the worst system at all. Although I have gone away and got a separate deposit scheme bin rather than to be fishing through the recycling bin every time.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Me too - but we go through a load of 2L 7up free bottles in the gaf and even when squashed down take up loads of room. You're talking about 6 x 2l a week LOL Didn't realise how much we went through untii I left them aside for this LOL
Mixer for vodka?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 4:58pm
"That wont change at all, If im out and about I wont be bringing bottles home and I wouldn't be f**ked recycling them a measly 15c to use in a place I wouldn't normally shop."

It's been in operation here for as long as I remember. If you are out and about you leave your empty bottle by the side of bins, there are always collectors out to pick them up. Especially so at football matches, outside gigs
8c for beer bottles, 15c for glass jars and 25c for plastic and cans
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:16am
I asked if they could put in bins at where i work and give the money to charity , we have 4200 people in the plant . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic