You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bottle deposit scheme i

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Doesn't the scanning already exist?

I think they have said their trucks have cameras but never actually heard of it being in full use or people getting pulled up over sh*t

Same pretty sure we got a letter from greyhound about it
Someone I know got a letter warning them of the  contents from Panda. Included a photo. Thats the only one i heard of or know of though

Just to clarify our letter was from greyhound advising of camera installation not of any breach 

G'wan outta that ye litter bug 
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Can anyone answer if the deposit applies to retailers buying from wholesalers or at the point of production?

I work at the point of production and yes we charge and extra 15c per can to our distributor/retail clients. From a small business perspective, it's a bit of a nightmare tbh, loads of extra admin/reporting and if it wasn't for some lobbying to help reduce costs etc, we would have stopped producing cans for the ROI market completely. 
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 8:25am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Remember in Denmark for the playoff being hounded by homeless lads with bags collecting our cans. Was like Christmas for them. Have to say in that instance I thought it was a good idea as it cleaned up after us.

Its been the same as that in Finland for years too, in summer when everybody is sitting around drinking, homeless people will hover around collecting empty cans. Seemed like a win win situation to me.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 5:45pm
How have people been getting on using the service? Appears to be an utter disaster based on online anecdotal evidence 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 6:40pm
Bought 4 cans of Rascals in SuperValu the other day. Staff member in the offy section said they can’t be recycled as they’re old stock and I won’t be charged the deposit. Was charged at the till for the deposit, I said they can’t be recycled in the machines and I shouldn’t be charged. Young wan just shrugged her shoulders and said there’s nothing she can do.

The whole thing is a f**king shambles. Off licence guy also told me that you’ll only be able to get cans brewed in Ireland in a few months as foreign suppliers aren’t bothering with the new labels. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Bought 4 cans of Rascals in SuperValu the other day. Staff member in the offy section said they can’t be recycled as they’re old stock and I won’t be charged the deposit. Was charged at the till for the deposit, I said they can’t be recycled in the machines and I shouldn’t be charged. Young wan just shrugged her shoulders and said there’s nothing she can do.

The whole thing is a f**king shambles. Off licence guy also told me that you’ll only be able to get cans brewed in Ireland in a few months as foreign suppliers aren’t bothering with the new labels. 

They can be recycled, I brought old cans to it recently and was no bother. 
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

If you were charged a deposit, then that barcode is now registered with DRS, which means they can be used in the VRM. Originally DRS wanted all producers to establish ROI only barcodes and then have separate ones for exports etc. After some convincing, DRS allowed us to use our existing barcodes, so in the case of registered breweries, even stock that was bought 3 or 4 months ago can now be returned, even though deposits weren't paid.

As for non ROI craft, there's already a load registered for DRS so it's not having that much of an impact so far.

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 10:06am
Was charged the deposit in Dublin airport past security in T2 LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 11:53am
So.far experience has been that they've just gone into the recycling bin as normal and took the 15c hit.

Without the proper system in place in the gaf its better than bottles sitting around. The wife is a clean freak so bottles/cans hanging around to be taken to shop are a no go. I'll have to invest in some sort of bin and keep it hidden away in the back garden.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

This is beyond laughable 
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

This is beyond laughable 

Would they have a return point there?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 1:41pm

This is beyond laughable 

If they do, fair play but i doubt it. 

Bring your empty bottle to the canaries and back and bring it down to the bottle deposit in Dunnes LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 1:45pm

This is beyond laughable 

Even if they did, passenger might have to buy something in a shop they didn't intend to, to get 15c back.

As someone said above, nothings changed in my house yet either. At present, couldn't be bothered trying to keeps cans and bottles "intact" in a separate bin. Law of averages a few will get damaged anyway. I've 3 kids aged 7 to 12  who are impossible to sit still never mind ensuring a bottle or a can they're using remains intact and put safely in a specified bin without damaging other cans, etc 

Beforehand, I was all about recycling in my house so just continuing to put them in green bin. That may change over time but at present zero interest in the hassle of it 

Edited by Wheelo - 19 Feb 2024 at 1:46pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 9:54am

So.far experience has been that they've just gone into the recycling bin as normal and took the 15c hit.

Without the proper system in place in the gaf its better than bottles sitting around. The wife is a clean freak so bottles/cans hanging around to be taken to shop are a no go. I'll have to invest in some sort of bin and keep it hidden away in the back garden.

I've an overflowing bag of bottles in the kitchen now. Empty 2L bottles take up a good bit of space. Have zero confidence in the machine at SuperValu being working condition when I try to take them back later.

Being charged in the airport is a complete joke. The idea behind the whole scheme to to recycle more and stop littering. Can't see how an empty bottle bought in departures in Dublin Airport can end up on the streets.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:02am
I pay an estate management fee for my house. It includes my bins. 

Seems ridiculous to expect people to bring back bottles and cans when they already have recycling bins at home.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:23am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I've an overflowing bag of bottles in the kitchen now. Empty 2L bottles take up a good bit of space. Have zero confidence in the machine at SuperValu being working condition when I try to take them back later.

Being charged in the airport is a complete joke. The idea behind the whole scheme to to recycle more and stop littering. Can't see how an empty bottle bought in departures in Dublin Airport can end up on the streets.

Most of the time the one at dunnes has been out of service from what I can see. 

Like Wheelo said, with kids in the gaf hard to go around telling everyone to be careful of their bottles or cans and not to crush them. 
If I really want to make it work I'll have to get like a big enough bin that things can be placed into and not stuffed in like you do with a normal bin so they can't get crushed. Will need to sit around the back of me garden work cabin or something. Just annoying.

In saying that, the other day I decided against buying a 10 pack of cans of coke because I thought to myself ah its not worth the hassle. So maybe it will also help reduce the amount of drinks in plastic bottles or cans being bought in the first place.

Seperate note:
One thing I notice at the moment in dunnes is that there is a limit on the amount of packs of the dunnes water that can be bought, limited to a max of 2.  Assume its because they are still those with old packaging and they don't want someone buying out all the stock??? 

Edited by t_rAndy - 20 Feb 2024 at 10:24am
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 1:48pm

This is beyond laughable 

I didn't see one but to be fair I didn't look. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

As expected it didn't take anything that didn't have the logo even though I'm 99% sure we paid the deposit on them. About 8 empty 2L bottles crushed and put in the bin beside the machine as I needed the bags they were in for the actual shopping. These would have gone in the green bin at home as normal but into landfill now.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic