You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bottle deposit scheme i

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bottle deposit scheme i
    Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:29pm
It’s all gonna end in tears lads LOL

I run a tight ship at home when it comes to the bins. Recycle everything that is recyclable etc

Now, I have to take the bottles and cans (if they apply with all the old to new issues) into Dunnes Donaghmede, trapse through the store with my trolley full of cans and bottles (the machines are buried down the back in the store) join potential queues, recycle my cans and bottles, take my ticket for cash or discount off my shop, trapse back through the store and start my shopping 

Absolute disaster. All those that shop online LOL using their petrol cars to drive to the store to claim their deposit back

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:32pm
Great scheme.  Will be grand when it’s up and running like
It has done in tonnes of European countries.  Usual moaners giving out.  

Don’t see an issue.  Don’t buy a huge amount of cans or plastic bottles and any I do will just be in the bag for life and claim back when my usual trips to
The supermarket.  

Edited by Baldrick - 02 Feb 2024 at 4:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:47pm
They actually used to do it in Ireland 40 years ago with glass bottles.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

It’s all gonna end in tears lads LOL

I run a tight ship at home when it comes to the bins. Recycle everything that is recyclable etc

Now, I have to take the bottles and cans (if they apply with all the old to new issues) into Dunnes Donaghmede, trapse through the store with my trolley full of cans and bottles (the machines are buried down the back in the store) join potential queues, recycle my cans and bottles, take my ticket for cash or discount off my shop, trapse back through the store and start my shopping 

Absolute disaster. All those that shop online LOL using their petrol cars to drive to the store to claim their deposit back

Doesn't anywhere that sells cans and bottles have to take them back? if that's true then straight into the chipper when they open with a bin bag of cans to exchange for 60c off a bag of chips.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:59pm
I agree with the idea in principal but as usual its being implemented completely arseways.

It should really only apply to smaller bottles, glass and cans being sold in newsagents and offos etc.. thats the stuff not being recycled. People consuming them on the go and f**king them into a normal bin or on the ground. Itd sort out broken glass too.

The vast majority of big 2 litre bottles and canned foods sold in supermarkets have already been going into the recycling bin at home for last 20 years.

We tend to do our shopping on the way home from work without the car 2 or 3 times a week instead of one big weekly shop like we used to. I'll now have to make an extra trip outside of that with the car just to bring back the bottles!

It also means absolutely f**k all will be going into the recycling bin to the point its hardly worth keeping.

I can see us probably recycling less with it than more!
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Great scheme.  Will be grand when it’s up and running like
It has done in tonnes of European countries.  Usual moaners giving out.  

Don’t see an issue.  Don’t buy a huge amount of cans or plastic bottles and any I do will just be in the bag for life and claim back when my usual trips to
The supermarket.  

It's a shambles.

We already paid for bins through general taxation. We then saw bin collection fees rise from €7 a lift to approx €30 a month to a private provider.

We then did most of the sorting for them.

Now we have to get in a car to make a journey that is unnecessary and the bottle needs to be in mint condition.

My other issue is who gets the non collected deposit monies? As far as I can see it's another wealth transfer to private operators just like minimum pricing. The money should be used for state projects related to the reason for the scheme, but no, we just make retailers richer instead.

Edited by Saint Tom - 02 Feb 2024 at 5:03pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:25pm
It's just gonna end up with either

1. You do the same as ya do for your bottles and save them for the trip to the recycling centre

2. Homeless lads with trolleys will go around collecting them
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

It's just gonna end up with either

1. You do the same as ya do for your bottles and save them for the trip to the recycling centre

2. Homeless lads with trolleys will go around collecting them

It will be both of those things and it will also be lots of people just bringing them when they do their trip to the supermarket.  
AKA pedantic kunt
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:44pm
Remember in Denmark for the playoff being hounded by homeless lads with bags collecting our cans. Was like Christmas for them. Have to say in that instance I thought it was a good idea as it cleaned up after us.
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm
Can cans still go into the green bin ?

Personally I think this will fail , only time will tell
Why no wine??!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Remember in Denmark for the playoff being hounded by homeless lads with bags collecting our cans. Was like Christmas for them. Have to say in that instance I thought it was a good idea as it cleaned up after us.

Exactly the amount of cans and bottles thrown all over the city and countryside is shocking .  This gives an incentive to people to either return their own or pick up those left by others.  Works in Denmark and many other European countries.  Smoking ban was attack by many when it came it and people saying this and that won’t work and the same with the plastic bag levy.  In reality I expect this to work well after a couple of teething problems. 
AKA pedantic kunt
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:09pm
I've still not seen a can with the logo that needs to be on it for it to be usable in these machines. 
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:16pm
My elderly neighbour had to knock in to me to ask me to bring their cans back because the tesco delivery man wouldn't take them. This man can't go ro the shop because of his age and lives alone. He's hoping his home help will donit for him. If not he has a bew tax to deal with and will fet nothing back. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

My elderly neighbour had to knock in to me to ask me to bring their cans back because the tesco delivery man wouldn't take them. This man can't go ro the shop because of his age and lives alone. He's hoping his home help will donit for him. If not he has a bew tax to deal with and will fet nothing back. 

Do you mind posting that in English? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:02pm
Wasn’t working in the local Lidl this morning LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm
My issue is me neighbours will see my secret shame of bags full of beer cans. 

Will have to invest and store another bin now too because they are not allowed to be damaged either so you can't just squash them somewhere out if the way they will need to be stored somewhere fairly secure. 

People that are saying "it won't work". There's no turning back so what won't work is that you will pay extra for your cans or bottles but just not get your refund and be then paying 15c extra per can

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:44pm
Jesus lads not that complicated.   MmmOne of those bags for life beside your bin and just throw in the 5-10 cans/bottles you have as you use them and then when you go to do your next big shop just bring them and deposit them. 

Can’t imagine having more than 5 or 6 bottles/cans per week to put in it anyway. 
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Jesus lads not that complicated.   MmmOne of those bags for life beside your bin and just throw in the 5-10 cans/bottles you have as you use them and then when you go to do your next big shop just bring them and deposit them. 

Can’t imagine having more than 5 or 6 bottles/cans per week to put in it anyway. 

That may be the case in your household.

Also a bit of a disaster for anybody tight on space 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic