Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beckham documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by foden1981 foden1981 wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

he was both overrated and underrated by some.  Very like Trent I think.  Not blistering quick or couldn’t control a game from the centre but could get enough space to put in a great cross or score a great goal and worked back really well.  Was decent defensively.  Seems a nice guy.  

That’s a very good comparison. 

With the move away from 4-4-2, it’s not hard to imagine Beckham playing as a central midfielder if he was playing today.

Beckham could never play in central midfield at the top level . Because one of the things you needed to play there was great close control and the ability to beat a man . Beckham had neither of these attributes.

There are loads of central
Midfielders who can’t beat a man.  Scholes couldn’t beat a man.  Rodri doesn’t beat a man either did Jordan Henderson or fernandez for Utd.  Beckham’s issue would be the discipline to play one and two touch football and play it short and take the sting out of a game if needed to be done.  That was the issue in 99 during the final against Munich. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

He had a limited skillset, but those skills, crossing, long range passing, set pieces were at a top level and got a lot of attention. His image carried his career, if he looked like Luke Chadwick he would have never got as many caps or played abroad. Madrid seen the shirt sales when they signed. Barca signed Ronaldinho at the same time and prospered. 

He played centrally  a few times but was a headless chicken. Even when he scored the winner vs Greece I'm sure he missed a load of free kicks that day. A good player but vastly overrated. Wasnt even the second best player at Utd in 99, how he came second in Balon d'Or is a mystery. 

You honestly think numerous world class managers risked their career to play Beckham because he was good looking?

You say limited skill set and then list all top level skills to be a quality midfielder. I actually can't believe this would even be debated tbh, was he world class, no, was he an excellent player who was one of the best in the leagues he played in, certainly.

I think a lot of people's judgement of Beckham comes from their hatred of Man United in the 90s.

I named three skills, is that all you need to be a top class midfield player?

Fergie seen he wasnt worth the hassle and punted him. What world class managers did he work under in Madrid? Quieroz? Capello didnt fancy him and he ended up in LA soon after. Couple of vanity loan moves to Milan and Paris was hardly risking any managers career by playing him. 
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:09pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

he was both overrated and underrated by some.  Very like Trent I think.  Not blistering quick or couldn’t control a game from the centre but could get enough space to put in a great cross or score a great goal and worked back really well.  Was decent defensively.  Seems a nice guy.  

That’s a very good comparison. 

With the move away from 4-4-2, it’s not hard to imagine Beckham playing as a central midfielder if he was playing today.

Beckham could never play in central midfield at the top level . Because one of the things you needed to play there was great close control and the ability to beat a man . Beckham had neither of these attributes.

There are loads of central
Midfielders who can’t beat a man.  Scholes couldn’t beat a man.  Rodri doesn’t beat a man either did Jordan Henderson or fernandez for Utd.  Beckham’s issue would be the discipline to play one and two touch football and play it short and take the sting out of a game if needed to be done.  That was the issue in 99 during the final against Munich. 

Scholes could beat a man . Anyone who ever pressed him he made them look like a fool. And as for Fernandes and Henderson they are both limited players . 

Yes i know Henderson played for Liverpool and won things . But Klopp played a very unusual system where both van dyke and trent were their playmakers  and their midfielders were mere work horses .

From my recollection firminho used to drop back in to midfield to playmake. They also had unbelievable forwards so they didn't need much creativity in midfield

All henderson flaws were covered up by the system klopp played . When Henderson played for England he was really shown up against Croatia when they pressed him and he couldn't make a forward pass . He went in to hiding in that game and he was the main reason why Croatia got back in the game .

Most united fans want fernandes sold because they have realised that they will never win the premier league with him in the team.

And i cannot believe that you have Henderson and Fernandes in the same bracket as Scholes and rodri . 
Scholes is easily one of England's most technically gifted players ever , Rodri is really technically gifted as well . As a player he is miles ahead of declan rice.

Edited by foden1981 - 02 Feb 2024 at 5:14pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:18pm
They were in the same sentence I was not saying they were equals in terms of ability.  I was saying here are 4 premier league players who have all won things in England and played in world
Cups and they didn’t have the ability to beat a player.  It’s something that is actually rare in central midfielder.  Bissouma at spurs is one of the few holding midfielders who does it and then you have played like De Bruyne and Foden who do it centrally but usually with the protection of two players behind them in midfield.  It’s a huge asset to have but it’s not a massive liability not to have.  

Beckham as a brilliant player but he was not world class.  As I said very like Trent. 
AKA pedantic kunt
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:29pm

They were in the same sentence I was not saying they were equals in terms of ability.  I was saying here are 4 premier league players who have all won things in England and played in world
Cups and they didn’t have the ability to beat a player.  It’s something that is actually rare in central midfielder.  Bissouma at spurs is one of the few holding midfielders who does it and then you have played like De Bruyne and Foden who do it centrally but usually with the protection of two players behind them in midfield.  It’s a huge asset to have but it’s not a massive liability not to have.  

Beckham as a brilliant player but he was not world class.  As I said very like Trent. 

Perhaps i should have said press resistant . Scholes and Rodri are press resistant . And both are masters of finding space and getting on the ball , controlling the tempo of a game .

Beckham doesn't have those attributes . Beckham was played in central midfield for Madrid and his limitations were really shown up . The only thing he could do when got the ball is boot it long .

He turned them in to a long ball team . He was completely out of his depth in central midfield which is why they only won one la liga where he was dropped for half the season . Which is probably why they won it that season.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Beckham was a good player who worked well in United’s system but he was absolutely overrated!

It amazes me that Roy Keane put beckham in his man utd 11 and didn't pick scholes or giggs. That is something i cannot understand.

Roy has picked 3 or 4 of these at this stage and changed it a few times and giggs and Scholes have been in them.  So I wouldn’t use that as a reference point. 

Notice how Keane seemed to favour the players that had a rift with Fergie or bad exit, would make into team on a couple of those best 11. 

Ince in his best United 11 over Scholes was laughable stuff. 

Edited by irishmufc - 02 Feb 2024 at 5:48pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Beckham was a good player who worked well in United’s system but he was absolutely overrated!

It amazes me that Roy Keane put beckham in his man utd 11 and didn't pick scholes or giggs. That is something i cannot understand.

Roy has picked 3 or 4 of these at this stage and changed it a few times and giggs and Scholes have been in them.  So I wouldn’t use that as a reference point. 

Notice how Keane seemed to favour the players that had a rift with Fergie or bad exit, would make into team on a couple of those best 11. 

Which 11 are you talking about.  He has had one with Paul Parker at right back and another with Gary Neville.  Another with Giggs in it and another he wasn’t. He has picked a few best 11s at this stage.  Ince was a brilliant player but Scholes was a better partner for Keane. 
AKA pedantic kunt
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:41pm
In fairness beckham wasn't the only overrated player of his era . There was a lot more and most of them were bloody well English . Gerrard and Lampard were very overrated as well.

In the premier league today . Bruno Fernandes is the most overrated.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Which 11 are you talking about.  He has had one with Paul Parker at right back and another with Gary Neville.  Another with Giggs in it and another he wasn’t. He has picked a few best 11s at this stage.  Ince was a brilliant player but Scholes was a better partner for Keane. 

He picked Ince over Scholes in that Keane-Vieira doc and you're preaching to the choir as to who was the better partner for Keane nevermind player for that matter. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:05pm
Yep an ordinary player who could put a ball onto a needle point.

foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Yes there is no doubt beckham was a wonderful crosser of the ball, and he could hit a 60 yard pass but there is a lot more to football than that . He had a very limited skill set, and was exposed at the highest level time and time again, when England got to the world cup and euros.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 9:01pm

Yes there is no doubt beckham was a wonderful crosser of the ball, and he could hit a 60 yard pass but there is a lot more to football than that . He had a very limited skill set, and was exposed at the highest level time and time again, when England got to the world cup and euros.

But that's what he was good at what else do you want him to do?

As someone pointed out you don't play for Man Utd and Real Madrid during their pomp if you're an ordinary player.

Not saying he was world class or anything but to claim he ordinary 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 10:50pm
Go way owi dat. Every top team in Europe would take a prime Beckham now. Lads who put the ball in the box like him are like hens teeth.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Go way owi dat. Every top team in Europe would take a prime Beckham now. Lads who put the ball in the box like him are like hens teeth.

Not sure.  He is from another era when you needed 2 wingers who could cross the ball.  It feels like its almost gone out of football.

I could see him as a sort of quarter back hitting 50 yard passes but what other role would you have for him?

He was not a tiki taka player.  Nobody plays 4-4-2 anymore so no wingers.

He is a 90s footballer that was a product of his time.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:04am
I would say Darren Anderton although injury prone, when fit was a better player than beckham .Anderson could use both feet unlike beckham. In euro 96 for England he was one of their best players .

Teddy Sheringham names Anderton as one of the top 5 players he has played with . Which is saying something because Sheringham played with giggs, keane,scholes,shearer and gazza.

Edited by foden1981 - 03 Feb 2024 at 10:12am
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:24am

I would say Darren Anderton although injury prone, when fit was a better player than beckham .Anderson could use both feet unlike beckham. In euro 96 for England he was one of their best players .

Teddy Sheringham names Anderton as one of the top 5 players he has played with . Which is saying something because Sheringham played with giggs, keane,scholes,shearer and gazza.

Jesus Christ.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:02am
Teddy Sheringham is also a ****
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:39am

Teddy Sheringham is also a ****

Maybe so . But Ferguson wanted to sign Darren Anderton in 1995. So make no mistake about it
Darren Anderton was a very good player.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic