You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alex Murphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alex Murphy
    Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 12:34am
19 year-old left-footed defender.  Put in an impressive performance in playing most of the match for Newcastle against Chelsea yesterday. 

Played a fair bit of PL2 last year after a full season for Galway United as a 17 year-old. 

Capped to U19 for us, and touted to see some game-time for Newcastle this year. 

Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 8:56am
Every Galway United fan i know loves Alex and wishes him the best of luck .

Think he was 16 when he played his first game for United .

Super lad he really is . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 9:11am
Robocop Clap
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 9:40am
Would be great to see a quality young left back coming through, it's an area where we are very short on cover at senior level.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 9:57am
He definitely seems to have been the standout Irish performer of pre season this year. At least in the sense that he wouldn't have been expected to be this involved in Newcastle's pre-season games. Hopefully it leads to some first team minutes or a loan.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Would be great to see a quality young left back coming through, it's an area where we are very short on cover at senior level.

Even though Newcastle see him as a CB and maybe CB is his preferd position also but we should continue to play him LB. Similarly with Sean Roughan who'll mostly play CB this season. Bosun Lawal is another. Should continue to play him as a DM rather than a CB.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He definitely seems to have been the standout Irish performer of pre season this year. At least in the sense that he wouldn't have been expected to be this involved in Newcastle's pre-season games. Hopefully it leads to some first team minutes or a loan.

Yeah has been a proper springer. He’s very talented and you would hope if Newcastle don’t have designs on giving him minutes this season they manufacture a good loan for him. 

Jamal Lewis gone to Watford on loan so that’s one player gone in his position. 

He’s definitely gone beyond the point of pissing about playing U21s football for another year. Will do nothing for him. 

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Jul 2023 at 10:10am
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 5:00pm
Highlights of the NU vs Chelsea game

I haven't seen much of him myself, but the chatter around him seems to indicate he's of similar caliber to Collins & Omobamidele, is that right?

I'd like to see him go out on loan, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to be around the first team, training under Howe & getting Cup games, at least until January.

I think he'll be promoted to our U21s before long.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 11:00am
any news on how he played last night v Brighton? Looks like he got a few more 1st team mins coming off the bench
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 11:12am
Only played about 15 minutes last night, but reports on him across pre season as a whole have been overwhelmingly positive.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 8:46pm
Got 90mins in a 2-0 win over Fiorentina today.

Very positive reviews again.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 9:52pm

Alex Murphy 8

An accomplished display and looked like a seasoned pro. Some excellent defensive contributions. Slotted in like he's been playing at St James' Park for years. (Evening Chronicle)

Edited by You Tell Me - 05 Aug 2023 at 9:53pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 10:39pm
I think he's an example of the benefits  of staying on in Ireland til 18 or 19 and getting some first team football experience before moving across the sea. If he'd gone over at 16 he probably wouldn't have been able to make the breakthrough to Premier league first team squad if precedent is anything to go by over the last 20 years
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I think he's an example of the benefits  of staying on in Ireland til 18 or 19 and getting some first team football experience before moving across the sea. If he'd gone over at 16 he probably wouldn't have been able to make the breakthrough to Premier league first team squad if precedent is anything to go by over the last 20 years

Yeah. Sam Curtis will hopefully get a good move in 2024.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:27pm
Sam Curtis looks 40 not 17
I love beer gardens
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Sam Curtis looks 40 not 17

It's Harry Maguire/Scottie Scheffler syndrome.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:01am

When you saw him play LOI it was similar to when Séamus Coleman played for Sligo. The lad was comfortably twice the player of any other player on the pitch and you could see it was just a stepping stone. That time in LOI will have done nothing but build his confidence to show himself as much as anything that he's more than capable of higher level ball. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 2:25pm

I'd agree with you generally but then you look at the likes of Ferguson. Would he be the player he is now if he only went to England this year. Certainly not.

Some will develop quicker playing adult football earlier while some will develop quicker with elite coaching. Currently the LOI only provides the first option. It would be great if we could offer both 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic